Wireless security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradient

Hi all. Yesterday my family bought a Netgear DG834PN router. I'm connected to it wirelessly right now, so I know it works. However, the network is currently unsecured - I simply cannot get either WEP or WPA-PSK to work. When I put in the key for WEP, it simply sits there trying to connect and eventually the connecting box vanishes. With WPA, the same happens but in the list of available networks it flip-flops between being disconnected and acquiring the network address, before giving up. I've tried both several times. Any ideas? I've tried Googling without any real success; it's my first proper foray into wireless, so I may well have missed something.

Thanks,
Phil

Update the router firmware and your wireless drivers to their latest versions.

If you are using the wireless utility from the adapter's manufacturer, try using the Windows wireless system instead and vice versa.

Thanks for that, I had been using the WinXP client and the one supplied with my laptop, but after a time I settled with just using the XP client. Returning to the other wireless client after redoing the settings sorted it all out. Silly mistake, really. :) Thanks very much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back