WOF: How much time do you spend playing games?

Matthew DeCarlo

Weekend Open Forum Microsoft recently revealed that over 25 million gamers spend more than 1 billion hours on Xbox Live each month playing games, watching videos, and listening to music.

Do the math and on average Xbox users are spending over 30 hours per month using the console. That's an impressive figure, though of course not all of that time is devoted to playing games, in fact I believe Microsoft is more interested in highlighting how its entertainment platform has grown beyond games and is being used more extensively to communicate with friends and play media.

But let's focus on the gaming side of things for a second. It's not hard to guess that if you visit TechSpot and are reading this, odds are you are a gamer, even if you don't have enough time in your hands at this very moment, you do play games on occasion.

In my case, depending on how busy I am, it can be weeks and I won't touch a single game, but then there are periods when I'll get pretty hooked up and will make time to dedicate to a worthwhile title. It's not often that you come across a WoW-class of addicting game -- I'm looking at you StarCraft II -- though for me it could be anything as long as it's really good, from first person shooters to real time strategy games, and when playing with friends, think Super Mario Wii, Rock Band or Pro Evolution Soccer.

Unfortunately I've had little time to spare recently, so I've been missing most of the latest titles and when playing something I've simply recurred to the games I've owned for a while. All in all, I've likely spent no more than 5 hours playing in the last month, though you could say I'm making time for when Crysis 2 and Duke Nukem Forever (*ouch) are released.

How about yourself? How much time do you usually dedicate to play games in your computer, console or even smartphone? Discuss.

Permalink to story.

About 8-10 hours atm. But that may change depending several things which may come up soon, resulting much less free time :rolleyes:. Anyway, mostly I play TF2 / Q3-4 / or EEII.

Probably average around 5 hrs/week. I don't get much time because I've got a lot of uni work, so I end up jumping into random online fps' like the insurgency mod for hl2. I've got an ongoing save on Mass Effect which I'd really like to finish but again time is against me :(

Depends on my work load, but probably 6-14 hours per week. The games I am playing now are Assassins Creed II and minecraft :)

Today i probably game as much as the average Belgian about 2 to 3 hours a day

A lot, but only because I play World of Warcraft. Some day I'll add up all my time /played to see how much time I've spent but per week I would imagine it's about 20-30 hrs.

Depends whether there's any new games out that week or not. If there is then I'd say at least 20-25 hours a week.

Anywhere from 3-15 hours a week depending on several factors. I'm the type to play a few games for a long time rather than tons of games for short periods of time. My top game now is still Bad Company 2 and waiting on GT5 (damn delays).

the main factor is the game i play. like when i play civilization, most of the time i finish the game in one sitting (like 6-7 hours per game). and i do that like once a week. playing fps games are different entirely since i only take like 2-3 hours tops. before i play like 10 hours a week, but now, because of school and work, i only play like 5 hours per week.

I play so much Halo: Reach that it's unhealthy. My computer hasn't played a game since then. Playing about 5-8 hours a day. -_-

Before I lost my job at Universal I played 3 hrs a day. When I lost my job I became a full time citizen of Northtrend and played 9-10 hrs a day. I was my get away from real life. I quit cold turkey in June and went back to work. I am down to a few hrs a week now depending on my work schedule.

I probably average around an hour a week. I simply don't have the time to do everything I would like to, and playing video games is lower on my priority list than other free time activities.

g4mer said:
I play games 85% of the time when my PC is on.

That's about right haha =P

But honestly whenever I feel like playing I play, and I don't stick to one game I just play whatever I feel like playing... 'where ever the feeling takes me' as the say =)

I'm in college and I don't get any homework(I'm very grateful =D) so usually about 3 or 4 hours when I come home, bit more on weekends.

I don't play any one game, it's whatever i'm in the mood to play! :p

Though I usually play about 2-5 hours a day. but it depends on my schedule for that day.

Back