TechSpot

WOF: What search engine did you use before Google?

By Jos
Feb 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. There's no denying Google's dominance in the search engine market. The Mountain View giant currently holds somewhere between 80-90% of the global search market, depending on where you get your numbers, and is almost as dominant in the U.S. alone with a 66% share, according to the latest comScore report. It's become so present in our lives that the word 'google' itself is commonly used as a verb and has even made it to the Oxford and Merriam-Webster dictionaries.

Read the whole story

2. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 299   +36

I've never used anything before Google. Heil Google!

3. Combination of Yahoo!, Hotbot, and Infoseek.

4. Metacrawler ftw!

5. Same here, Google is King.

6. All Hail Google!!!

7. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,243   +79

Altavista :O

8. AltaVista until summer 1999 - then Google

9. Still using Metacrawler.

10. I used to use Dogpile

11. Lycos ----

12. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 902   +52

Yahoo, Ask Jeeves, Metacrawler, Dogpile and whatever microsoft had before Bing.

13. yahoo then google

14. AltaVista until summer 1999 - then Google
    ...ditto

15. yahoo i think, after i found google ive used them ever since ^^ google is the best! ^^

16. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,540   +320

For some reason Yahoo never appealed to me, so before Google I mostly relied on Altavista and Infoseek. I remember at one point there was no single search engine that delivered usable results for all queries, so I had to stumble back and forth until something good came up. Then Google came along and I never looked back, though to be honest as much as the I love instant search, I hate the screenshots that go along when you hover over results.

17. Altavista too.

18. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +19

Yahoo & askjeeves besides Google but first was Google as it was default on my browser.

19. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

Ask Jeeves was my main search engine, though I occasionally used Yahoo. After reading this article, I went and visited ask.com for the first time since Google came out.....boy has it changed, lol. I can't believe they got rid of Jeeves...the butler of the search engine :p

20. gooderguy

gooderguy TS Rookie Posts: 62

I used several like AltaVista, Lycos, Excite, Infoseek, Yahoo, and then when Dogpile came out and combined many of those I started using it. Wow, just now for the heck of it I tried all those search sites and they are still all there, just one changed names, it's been so long.

21. Excite was the bomb!!

22. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 633   +123

Yahoo, Hotbot and AltaVista

23. Ssendi

Ssendi TS Rookie Posts: 18

Aol was very common by then!!! then Msn because Hotmail was my first email hence msn used to be my home page!!!

24. milford50

milford50 TS Rookie

I used to use Ask Jeeves mostly, miss the Richie rich butler :D

25. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

AltaVista, I liked it because it had a simple interface.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.