TechSpot

WOF: What was the first game you played online?

By Jos
Jul 30, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. People who have been gaming for just a few years might take online functionality for granted. After all, with the latest generation of consoles you just need to pop in the game disc to start playing with someone across the globe -- provided you have an Internet connection and in the case of Xbox 360 owners, signed up for an Xbox Live subscription. But to get where we are today many years have passed since the early days of dial-up and BBS turn-based games -- or PLATO time-sharing systems if you go way back, according to Wikipedia.

Read the whole story
  2. techsoda

techsoda TS Rookie

3. EvilFallenAngel

EvilFallenAngel TS Rookie Posts: 73

Diablo 1 Dupe FTW
  4. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 875   +130

5. My first was starcraft
  6. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Technically it was some version of Risk that I played on a dial up BBS.

The first game I played via modem against another player was Command and Conquer.

The first online game I played was Call of Duty 4.
  7. Either the original C&C or Half Life. Both were awesome games at the time. Ah, I can remember the days when your health didn't come back on it's own, you had to run around the map searching for med packs.
  8. Red Faction on PC,
  9. ColdFusion1990

ColdFusion1990 TS Rookie Posts: 141

Counter-Strike, of course
  10. Gamuholic

Gamuholic TS Rookie

Runescape. I don't play much more because they modified the trade system and make it hard to make money. That, and for some reason i got bored with clicking a rock for 6 hours at a time.
  11. posermobile89

posermobile89 TS Rookie Posts: 72

YES! but the first actual game I played online and devoted time to was halo 3

12. Haha awesome, Counter-strike and Team Fortress Classic, timing the ping just ahead of the enemy for a headshot.

and Quake lan at my mates house on the old coaxil bus network setup.

Kel
  13. Doom on DOS, through the dial-up Dwango service in Texas.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DWANGO

After that came Quake95 on iiNet, again on dial-up with no latency prediction. Quakeworld came soon after.

- [TRB]_ReKTeK
  14. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

Starcraft maybe
  15. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 901   +52

Darkforces 2: Jedi Knight, the only FPS I've ever held my own in.
  16. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,666   +58

Warcraft 2, that game got me hooked back in the 90s, I played with my friends modem to modem. There was also some sort of network setup locally where you could dial in with your modem and 4 people could play at once (The Cage), there was no battle net back then, The Cage was just setup by some dude and his friends, you could chat on it, play war2, duke nukem 3d, there were some text based games you could play, actually only 4 people could even connect to the cage at once! It was 5$ a month for a premium account, most of it was free. This was before very many people had the internet and my parents would have thought it absurd to pay for the net back then :).
  17. Operation Flashpoint
  18. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TS Maniac Posts: 388

hmm.... has to be counter-strike.
  19. Falcon on the Amiga via a 300 baud modem
  20. Age of Empires!!!
  21. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Maniac Posts: 579

Unreal Tournament... On Dial-up.I still play it online occasionally.
  22. Prosercunus

Prosercunus TS Enthusiast Posts: 119   +9

Diablo, but I think what got me addicted to online gaming was Rainbow Six.
  23. sprunk

sprunk TS Rookie

the first online game i ever played is the one that i am still playing now. which is combat arms that i am addicted to playing.
  24. motrin

motrin TS Enthusiast Posts: 155   +8

OMG thats the game ! thats the game ! (command & conquer) that made me anti-social and a tech enthusiast.

But the first game i play'd online was Rainbow Six. With my slow dial-up, that i still have :(
  25. Unreal Tournament in 1999. I remember I used to play online using dial-up. My download speed was about 6-8 kbit/s. That was sad. Lol

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.