WOF: What was the first graphics card you ever owned?

Jos

Staff

This week we published the first in a four-part article series chronicling the history of the modern graphics processor, from the early Wild West of competing ideas to the market's consolidation and how we got where we are today. Hat tip to Graham Singer (a.k.a dividebyzero in our forums) for authoring and contributing the lengthy piece for all of us to enjoy.

It’s been quite a ride for sure, and many longtime TechSpot readers or anyone who’s been a PC gamer for a while will remember -- perhaps with a little nostalgia -- several of the companies and products that left their mark one way or another.

With that in mind, today we want you to take a trip down memory lane with us and tell us about the first graphics card you ever owned, as well as the games you were playing at that time. If you remember your entire graphics card purchase history to this day, we also want to hear about it!

Permalink to story.

My first 3d card was a Diamond Viper V770. It was a TNT2 based card. It kicked butt against my friends 3dfx 3000 video card.

9800 pro (thought I was the beez kneez when I got it)
Upgraded to x1800xt
Upgraded to 4870 DK TOP
Upgraded to 5830
Upgraded to 6870
And now I broke down and switched to nvidia :<
Upgraded to a 660ti
Somehow I got emotionally attached to each card. They each have a special place in my heart :)

I believe I had an intel graphics controller 2500 or something. It was with an old...pentium 4? celeron? I think.

First actual card was an HD3450 in the fam computer.

Hercules MDA ISA 8bit with about 16k memory as I recall - provided more density than 640x480 but the graphics were limited to what you could twist out of text. No pixel addressing. It was weird and soon displaced by EGA (thank heavens!). Played Rogue, Hack and Colossal Cave Adventure. I wrote a version of Hammurabi which I gave out to friends in my computer club.

A voodoo rush. The guy at compusa said it was awesome! Worse p.o.s. card ever. . After that I believe I purchased a voodoo2, then the GeForce 3 ti200 Series I believe.

Lets just say that during the time I started installing graphics drivers, they were referred to as CGA, VGA, and SVGA. I can't remember the specifics and a quick Bing search didn't refresh my memory either. Graphics was integrated on Packard Bell proprietary motherboards. At this time there was no PCI card slots or ATX form factors. ISA card slots and AT form factor was the standard. As for gaming at the time (1987), if you can imagine gaming before Doom or even Duke Nukum was available.

Had something in an ISA slot cant remember what then got a Voodoo Graphics PCI. Had it for a few years then got a voodoo 3 2000 with a whole 16mb! which still ran fine last time I checked in an old windows 98 box I kept for old dos games Just use dos box now and GOG :)

GeForce FX 5200

Bought it for my first build knowing it was weak, because I thought gaming with keyboard and mouse was stupid.

12 video cards later....

MSI GeForce 5200 128MB
XFX GeForce 6600 LE 256MB
BFG GeForce 6600 GT 256MB
MSI GeForce 7600 LE 256MB
BFG GeForce 7900 GS 512MB (x2)
Zotac GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
Sapphire Radeon 4830 512MB
Diamond Radeon 4850 1GB
Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X 5770 1GB
Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB (x2)
Sapphire 7870 Gigahertz Edition 2GB...