WOF: What's your browser homepage and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member

[Weekend Open Forum] In the beginning there was Yahoo, the ubiquitous homepage of choice for millions of Web users in the late 90s. Coming from an era when Web portals were hot properties and ISPs nearly forced you to use their own, many continue to devoutly rely on Yahoo as their start page to see what's new on the Internet and the world.

Over the years however many different options and trends have come and go on how to start your browsing sessions. From Google's simplistic search box approach to RSS-inspired personalized homepages like Netvibes and Pageflakes. Most recently social networks have elevated themselves as a source of breaking news and an effective way to connect with those around you. The browser itself has also impacted how you can start every session. For example, you can have it remember what tabs were open last time and take it from there, or you could set it up to open nothing (about:blank).

While we certainly encourage you to add TechSpot to your shortlist of first things to see when you browse the Web every day, in this week's WOF we ask you, what's your browser homepage and why? If you want to throw a brief story on how you used to code your own homepage filled with your favorite links back in the day (I did!) you won't hear us complaining. Discuss.

Permalink to story.

blank page :) , i have google in the search bar in firefox so i dont need that as a homepage....but i would have kept a homepage like the one in opera or safari if firefox had it

My browsers on my 24 nodes network here all use my IIS 7 Web Server. The intranet site has TechSpot as one of the many links but this is no.1 site! I use Google Chrome for Browsing and Google for Search Engine.

Weather Underground, which has been my startup page for many years. A quick check of the radar is always a good thing.

I have 5 tabbed homepages. 1- Gmail, 2- Techspot (Best tech blog/forum I've found to date), 3- Youtube (purely for my amusement), 4- PINAC (Carlosmiller.com - a great 1st amendment blog), 5- Twitter (For news headlines mainly).

Well i've been umm 'bored and lazy (at the same time) enough' to create my own home page carrying links of sites I usually regularly visit. Never ever I used any of those stupid home pages like boogle or ging ;)

Football365 during the football (soccer) season, Kissing Suzy Kolber during NFL season, BBC News if the collapse of Western civilization looks imminent (Mondays and Fridays).

www.speedymarks.com a site similar to Fast Dial, but online :) with lots of sites of my interest in it.

I use Bing sinds a fwe weeks. I did have Google for years, but I did not like it al in a sudden.

Blank page (simply because browsers show the home page on every open window instead of just on start), but I always have iGoogle and Gmail open.

www.superstart.se

It has many small necessary applications, e.g. news headline(some text aswell), weather, calendar.

Funny you ask techspot...

I have Chrome open with 4 tabs:
Yahoo mail (automatically logged in)
BBC homepage
Google.co.uk
and (no joke) www.techspot.com :)

I have the previously open tabs load in Opera...
For all my browsers www.google.com is the homepage tho... (And has been for as long as I can remember)

About:Blank
Because I never know beforehand what sites I want to check (though Techspot.com, tomshardware.com, vi.nl, gog.com, theregister.co.uk and some others are ones I check almost everyday)

http://www.theplaceforitall.com/googlex2/

not being in north america google redirects me to the local site which i hate

so this one is/was my favorite for years

simple straight

Wikipedia is my start page. I love reading the feature article evey day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back