WOF: What's your favorite 'geek' movie of all time?

Jos

[Weekend Open Forum] The last couple of decades have brought about a number of movies that in one way or another try to capture geek psychology and culture. We've seen everything from the hilariously misconceived hacker that can get into any computer by frantically typing random commands until the words 'access granted' appear on-screen (I'm looking at you Hugh Jackman), to a few gems that hit closer to the mark of portraying what it's like to be a geek or an outsider.

Our question for you today is simple: What's your favorite geek movie of all time? It doesn't need to be strictly related to computers -- fans of science fiction, comedy, fantasy, superhero, documentary or whatever genres are welcome. A few examples to get you started: Sneakers, Pirates of Silicon Valley, and Office Space.

Permalink to story.

I have few on my list
"HACKERS"
both "TOMB RAIDER MOVIES"
"sky captain and the world of tomorrow"

ok there is a couple of running themes in these choices I made
there about computers have computer characters or the whole movie is made by computers. and there is one last theme

ya ya I know but she is a goddess

"Angelina Jolie"

Hmmm hard to tell, I liked Pirates of Silicon Valley quite a bit but it's not one of my favorite movies. Sci-fi movies in general usually don't make it into my all time favorites, but memorable films that fall into the geeky category include Hackers, Star Wars, Bladerunner and The Matrix (only the first one).

Wargames, FTW. It's all about WOPR and Global Thermonuclear Warfare...

TRON, lame.
Revenge of the nerds, blah.

Hackers is on the list.. Yes, hacking is EXACTLY like that movie:) Plus, its just funny to see all those actors now.. Angelina Jolie, Johnny Lee Miller, Fisher Stevens, and Matthew Lillard.

hello ...

i don't have any fav of the genre, but just looking at the presentation & seeing it so often in movies, it made me LOL.

cheers!

Terrific weekly topic - props to whoever came up with this.

BUT obviously, it's a tie between two movies - Blade Runner and Tron.

I think we've somehow confused "geek movies" with "movies with a geek audience".

With that concept stated and in force, then "Avatar" would have to be the biggest "geek movie" of all time. (In addition to being the biggest grossing movie of all time). Universal appeal doesn't necessarily disqualify it, does it?

The truest verbatim definition of a "geek movie" would go to "Real Genius", which I think contains a tiny grain of truth regarding the sophisticated, intellectual practical jokes being played at those schools.

Anyway, I don't really believe that liking "Star Trek" automatically qualifies you as a "geek". However, going to the conventions, and believing that s*** is possible, does.

I think we've somehow confused "geek movies" with "movies with a geek audience".

With that concept stated and in force, then "Avatar" would have to be the biggest "geek movie" of all time. (In addition to being the biggest grossing movie of all time). Universal appeal doesn't necessarily disqualify it, does it?

The truest verbatim definition of a "geek movie" would go to "Real Genius", which I think contains a tiny grain of truth regarding the sophisticated, intellectual practical jokes being played at those schools.

Anyway, I don't really believe that liking "Star Trek" automatically qualifies you as a "geek". However, going to the conventions, and believing that s*** is possible, does.

Well there are stun guns. Don't see any phaser guns yet.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Transformers or Stargate yet (or maybe they have and I just missed it. Sneakers is one of my all time favorite geek movies.

@grvalderrama - Eagle Eye wasn't a geek movie.

Anyone seen "Primer?" Probably the most confusing movie ever written, but it was pretty good, once you understand it, and definitely a geek movie.

I still think that everybody's confusing movies that are popular with geeks, and geek movies.

As I said before, using the current criterion in applying the term "geek movie", "Avatar" would have to be the biggest geek movie of all time. I mean really, boys and girls, it's almost frame for frame ripped from "Fern Gully", an animated feature with ecology as a central theme. Oh, and there's also the little thing about displacing the native population. Social conscience raised to an interplanetary scale, that's geeky, no doubt about it.

You'll have to excuse me now, I have to go hug a tree three solar systems away.

Oh, there's also the comic book fantasy of assuming a much more powerful alter ego, when confronted with a personal feeling of inadequacy. That's textbook geek.

Back