Wondering about Venomous X height...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

I'm thinking of building a PC case to measure, and would like an owner of a Thermalright Venomous X to confirm if the spec stated on the website is inclusive or not of the little bits of heatpipe sticking out the top.

Before anyone asks; I'm in the "thinking about it" mode with this case, although I'd be doing all the measuring, layout and building a cardboard version before actually going all out and building it out of aluminum and fibreglass.

Given that its made to measure, for an ITX case, I am hoping to make it as small as possible, but I would still build some tolerances (wiggle space). However those bits sticking out will still put a huge dent on the final build if it wasn't included, so a quick "yes its included" or "no its not" would be greatly appreciated.

Don't own one but from scaling this and this I'd say the 160mm quoted is to the top of the exposed heatpipe ends.
I've installed the Prolimatech cooler and found that it's o.a. height also matches it's listed specification.

Don't own one but from scaling I'd say the 160mm quoted is to the top of the exposed heatpipe ends.
I've installed the Prolimatech cooler and found that it's o.a. height also matches it's listedspecification.

Is that spec measured from the board or from the CPU heat spreader?

Is that spec measured from the board or from the CPU heat spreader?

From the top of the CPU heatspreader.
Some coolers I've had just have the top of the heatpipes cinched and are quite ragged- sometimes they can be a mm or 3 over spec. The trusty dremel and a fine diamond cutting wheel usually get them back to spec, or cut the heatpipe back further and silver solder/ sweat copper caps (from plumbing supply outlets) onto the exposed heatpipe ends- looks neater and has no effect on cooling ability.

Nah, I'm gonna leave about 5mm space extra, just in case there was a need....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back