Won't boot to GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Won't boot to GUI.

I am working on a friend's Compact Presario model No. 5834 running Windows second edition. Someone had updated the Windows media player and they had recently installed a NIC card for cable Internet. I believe the computer was working after the NIC card was installed but not after the Windows media player update.

The computer will only boot up in safe mode. So they went and uninstalled the Windows media player upgrade and restarted. It shows the splash screen and then the screen is black with a flashing cursor.

Things I've tried.

1. Using a startup disk I tried regscan /restore from an A prompt . Could not find it gave me the Abort, Retry....
2. Tried disabling the swap file, no help.
3. Tried "Quick Restore" in safe mode, it didn't do anything.

Can I used the Windows CD to install Windows over itself without losing the programs and data?

Any other suggestions?

P.S. Not my computer so I don't need "dump Win98 SE. Thanks

Here's the latest.

I "fixed" - no help and then I restored to a previous setting.

I can still get into Safe mode but get the following when I try to start reguarlly.

I "fixed" no help and then I restored to a previous setting.

I can still get into Safe mode but get the following when I try to start reguarlly.

"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows applications.

The Windows Registry or system.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you a deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated applications using its uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.

C:\Windows\system\vshinit.vxd"

Tried to "REM out the McAfee files in Autoexec.bat file but no luck there.

Thanks, just tried it and it didn't find anything.

I deleted the C:\Windows\system\vshinit.vxd" file and it's not "asking" for it now but hangs up a the "splash screen".

Thinking about re-installing over Windows so hopefully I won't loose programs or data.

just a thought ,

have you tried removing the NIC & booting to see if it might be causing the problem? you said you alredy removed the WMP upgrade? can you boot into safe mode or does the system still lock up?

I re-installed Windows, over its self, still hanging at "splash screen" and will go into Safe mode. Going to take out NIC card next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back