TechSpot

World's longest imprisoned blogger has been released

By Emil
Nov 16, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Nabeel Suleiman (also known as Abdul Kareem), from Egypt, is the world's longest imprisoned blogger. After being incarcerated for over four years (1470 days to be exact), he has now been released. The news comes directly from his supporters as the Egyptian government obviously does not want to draw attention to the good news.

Read the whole story

2. Puiu

Puiu TS Addict Posts: 1,064   +98

i'm glad that i live in a country that doesn't torture me for speaking my mind.

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,349   +398

Good news! You gotta feel for these poor guys (and gals) who in repressive societies speak out on behalf of freedom and personal rights. You know they're going to get nothing but mass grief as a result.

4. You don't no any thing about him except whate wrote her..
    For me he is another stupid trying to reach the Fame

5. Johny47

Johny47 TS Rookie Posts: 157

All that bad crap listed that happened to him especially the 'family disowning' part just because he was honest and gave his honest opinion... so pathetic.

I'd never even heard of this guy but glad he's ok. Nabeel Suleiman just move to America(if you haven't already) and start your honest blogging again =P

I know enough to know that he won't get 'harassed' etc for speaking his mind over there =)

6. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Was just going to say that. Although the American government hates outspoken people/organizations like wikileaks I'm sure either the US or Canada would take him in. Anything would be better than an African country ATM.

7. Ahmed90

Ahmed90 TS Member Posts: 96   +9

Well i've read some of his blog he really just attack and insults religion and government

with weak arguments and proves that even 12yr old kids can easily prove him wrong so i guess i have to agree "he is another stupid trying to reach the Fame"

8. The5Xfactor

The5Xfactor TS Rookie Posts: 21

In that part of the world, anyone who remotely criticize religion will be prosecuted or put the death!!!
    He is not stupid, he is courageous for speaking out! Just read how the writer above justifies his imprisonment: "...he really just attack and insults religion..." That says it all!!!

9. Ahmed90

did you ever read his blog ? did you ever known the story from "both" sides ?

and i didn't "justifies his imprisonment" am just saying my opinion after i read his blog (in Arabic) and checking his arguments turns out he got no arguments at all

and still am not justifying his imprisonment for 4 years at all maybe a fine should be his maximum punishment but for sure not years in jail

10. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,076   +76

A fine? Really? This is the problem with dictatorships, and the sheep that follow dictatorial rule. People are afraid to speak out in protest. In a country that support the medieval mutilation of female genitals, I would speak out and risk jail time too. Even if everything he said on his blog is total BS, which I highly doubt, WHO CARES!

11. Ahmed90

what happens to people who insults / attack image people in public? its called "Libel and defamation" so a small fine should be as i said the MAXIMUM punishment

and yet again am not supporting Egyptian government in fact Egyptian government is known one of the most corrupted governments in this subject

and am sure hes jailed more likely because he attacked the government not religion

12. Wendig0

Attacking the government via blog shouldn't be a case for libel/defamation, regardless of whether it is true or not, though Egypt is a dictatorship so free speech doesn't fly.

Spreading lies about an individual IS libel/defamation of character, and is cause for a fine.

Just look at the United States... Bloggers here, on both sides of the political spectrum, have the freedom to say whatever they want about the government without fear of retaliation. If they lie, they will be called a liar, and the worst that will happen is they lose readers. No big deal.

As far as what happens to people that insult others in public, nothing... The person getting insulted either gives the insulter a black eye or goes home with a bruised ego.

13. Ahmed90

thats my point he insulted / attacked "individuals" in government and "individuals" in the religion

lol ye thats normal people but not government people with magical powers xD

14. Wendig0

What country are you from Ahmed? In the third world what you say is true, though in a modern democracy/republic, it wouldn't matter if he attacked individuals in government or in the religious hierarchy.

15. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,897   +88

People should not be afraid of their government, government should be afraid of its
    people-
    'V'

...one of my favorite movies of all time :)

16. Wendig0

And mine too!

On a completely unrelated subject, I fixed the fan on that graphics card you sent me. :) Runs like a champ once again :D

17. vangrat

vangrat TS Rookie Posts: 223

But don't forget!

18. Ahmed90

am from Iraq

and yes its nice quote so true
    but the governments here fear people if thy don't fear people thy wouldn't jail this guy and alot of others with ideas, arguments and visions way way way better than this guy

19. miska_man

miska_man TS Member Posts: 49

Note to self: Don't bring laptop with on future trips to Egypt and blog about how bad the food is.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.