Would extra RAM speed up my parents Dimension 2400?

Status
Not open for further replies.

14 of a hotdog

My parents have a dell dimension 2400 and its horribly slow but my mom refuses to get a new computer. So would adding extra ram help out a bit? If so how much would be needed? Take in mind they mostly just surf the internet.

Specs:
cpu: intel celeron northwood- 128
motherboard: intel og1548
memory: 256mb of ddr 333mhz pc 2700
graphics:intel 82845g/gl/gv

It looks like it takes 184 pin memory.

Yes, slapping a 512MB or 1GB module in alongside your current 256MB of RAM would improve performance on Windows XP by quite a bit I would bet.

Um, Well Yeah.......

Well yes, 256MB is barely enough to launch Windows XP. 1GB is a good amount to shoot for. Most BIOSes are set to take at least that amount, sort of the "minumum maximum" for a desktop, so that should be plug and play.

The memory you describe IS DDR 184 pin. PC3200. 400Mhz should work in that machine, it won't run @400Mhz but I think it's becoming a bit easier to find.

Firefox in my machine (ATM) is using about 250MB of RAM by itself, although I do have 40 tabs open. I've seen it hit 700+ MB! Perhaps I may surf a bit harder than your parents do.

Link to this page for a bit more specs on your board; https://www.usereasy.com/product_10576.html

Just checked on Firefox. Mine took 27MB just starting up. Factor in anything else running and taking their share,you'll see that 256MB just don't cut it.

don't even think about runnning XP with less than 512mb of ram. 1gb is about ideal.
Also read "How to speed up my pc for free" in the guides section

I forgot to post back. I cleaned out the 10lbs of dust and put the ram in and its a lot faster than it was before! I had also followed a guide from the Site in my signature a while ago and my parents seem a lot happier with the speed! so thanks everyone! I will also give that guide a shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back