TechSpot

Would extra RAM speed up my parents Dimension 2400?

By ¼ of a hotdog
Apr 18, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My parents have a dell dimension 2400 and its horribly slow but my mom refuses to get a new computer. So would adding extra ram help out a bit? If so how much would be needed? Take in mind they mostly just surf the internet.

Specs:
    cpu: intel celeron northwood- 128
    motherboard: intel og1548
    memory: 256mb of ddr 333mhz pc 2700
    graphics:intel 82845g/gl/gv

It looks like it takes 184 pin memory.
  2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,059   +84 Staff Member

Yes, slapping a 512MB or 1GB module in alongside your current 256MB of RAM would improve performance on Windows XP by quite a bit I would bet.
  3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,666   +879

Um, Well Yeah.......

Well yes, 256MB is barely enough to launch Windows XP. 1GB is a good amount to shoot for. Most BIOSes are set to take at least that amount, sort of the "minumum maximum" for a desktop, so that should be plug and play.

The memory you describe IS DDR 184 pin. PC3200. 400Mhz should work in that machine, it won't run @400Mhz but I think it's becoming a bit easier to find.

Firefox in my machine (ATM) is using about 250MB of RAM by itself, although I do have 40 tabs open. I've seen it hit 700+ MB! Perhaps I may surf a bit harder than your parents do.

Link to this page for a bit more specs on your board; https://www.usereasy.com/product_10576.html
  4. hrlow2

hrlow2 TS Rookie Posts: 210

Just checked on Firefox. Mine took 27MB just starting up. Factor in anything else running and taking their share,you'll see that 256MB just don't cut it.
  5. ¼ of a hotdog

¼ of a hotdog TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 214

Thank you the help! I have ordered a 1gb stick of wintec ampo. Someone wrote a review about them doing the same thing so it should be compatible.

By the way i have 145 tabs open and it is using 451 megabytes and my record is 156 tabs at over 1gb of memory thank god for tab mix plus!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161626
  6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

don't even think about runnning XP with less than 512mb of ram. 1gb is about ideal.
    Also read "How to speed up my pc for free" in the guides section
  7. ¼ of a hotdog

¼ of a hotdog TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 214

I forgot to post back. I cleaned out the 10lbs of dust and put the ram in and its a lot faster than it was before! I had also followed a guide from the Site in my signature a while ago and my parents seem a lot happier with the speed! so thanks everyone! I will also give that guide a shot!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.