TechSpot

Would extra RAM speed up my parents Dimension 2400?

By ¼ of a hotdog
Apr 18, 2009
  1. My parents have a dell dimension 2400 and its horribly slow but my mom refuses to get a new computer. So would adding extra ram help out a bit? If so how much would be needed? Take in mind they mostly just surf the internet.

Specs:
    cpu: intel celeron northwood- 128
    motherboard: intel og1548
    memory: 256mb of ddr 333mhz pc 2700
    graphics:intel 82845g/gl/gv

It looks like it takes 184 pin memory.

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,266   +92

Yes, slapping a 512MB or 1GB module in alongside your current 256MB of RAM would improve performance on Windows XP by quite a bit I would bet.

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,674   +1,874

Um, Well Yeah.......

Well yes, 256MB is barely enough to launch Windows XP. 1GB is a good amount to shoot for. Most BIOSes are set to take at least that amount, sort of the "minumum maximum" for a desktop, so that should be plug and play.

The memory you describe IS DDR 184 pin. PC3200. 400Mhz should work in that machine, it won't run @400Mhz but I think it's becoming a bit easier to find.

Firefox in my machine (ATM) is using about 250MB of RAM by itself, although I do have 40 tabs open. I've seen it hit 700+ MB! Perhaps I may surf a bit harder than your parents do.

Link to this page for a bit more specs on your board; https://www.usereasy.com/product_10576.html

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 TS Rookie Posts: 136

Just checked on Firefox. Mine took 27MB just starting up. Factor in anything else running and taking their share,you'll see that 256MB just don't cut it.

5. ¼ of a hotdog

¼ of a hotdog TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 188

Thank you the help! I have ordered a 1gb stick of wintec ampo. Someone wrote a review about them doing the same thing so it should be compatible.

By the way i have 145 tabs open and it is using 451 megabytes and my record is 156 tabs at over 1gb of memory thank god for tab mix plus!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161626

6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

don't even think about runnning XP with less than 512mb of ram. 1gb is about ideal.
    Also read "How to speed up my pc for free" in the guides section

7. ¼ of a hotdog

¼ of a hotdog TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 188

I forgot to post back. I cleaned out the 10lbs of dust and put the ram in and its a lot faster than it was before! I had also followed a guide from the Site in my signature a while ago and my parents seem a lot happier with the speed! so thanks everyone! I will also give that guide a shot!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.