XFX GTX 260 Black Edition Crashing - Want to Make Sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

gexamb

hey guys. i have another dilemma for yall to fix.

I recently built a new gaming rig:

ASUS P5Q Pro mobo
OCZ Reaper ddr2 8gb ram (4x2gb)
e8400 3.0ghz core 2 duo
xfx gtx 260 overclocked black edition
1 tb wd
x-fi titanium sound card
haf-932 case
cooler master 900w 80+ silver psu
ASUS 22" monitor
running on vista ultimate x64

i started gaming on this rig with COD5 WAW. started crashing often. would freeze, go to black screen, loop sound and stay that way until hard reboot.

so i up'd the fan speed to about 85% usuing evga precision software. it helped a little bit, freezing kept coming back.

played godfather 2 and same exact results. i tried lowering the clock speeds on the card down to a little bit less than the stock core gtx 260's and it helped noticeably. i sitll get a freeze every now and then.

played settlers 6 today and it froze within 15 min of play even with lowered settings. I am almost certain it is the graphics card, but want to make sure with you guys. I have attached 3 minidumps for review. i would appreciate it if you guys can take a look at them. thx.

BTW what do you guys think of my new rig? any suggestions of a new graphics card if i replace it? i bought it for $210 +$20 rebate. the whole thing cost $1500 shipped.

XFX has a lifetime warranty coverage if you are in North America and have registered the card on the XFX website. Send it in to them and get it replaced.

i think there might be a driver problem download the latest drivers for it and check to make sure the 6 pin power plug is pluged in nice and snug also might change the 6 pin to another if ya have it takes 2 right?

i have 2 6-pin plugs in it right now to send enough juice to it. and i have the latest drivers installed also.

has anyone taken a look at the dump files? thanks for all your help guys.

Have you tried to test or fix by reducing your overclocking to normal speeds then retesting as you boost the parameters.
Nice rig.
Try downloading your minidump in a Text file instead of a zip dump... much easier to get to the problem.
Sometimes it is useful to go back to the fundamental install on a new rig... there are so many things that can go wrong... If you start over, with the basic installs, you will pickup a lot that you missed with the muscle intall.

ya i reduced the clock speeds down to less than the stock core gtx 260's. it is at 567 mhz as of now with the memory and shader speeds lowered in proportion to the clock speed. less than stock speeds still cause crashing and freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back