XP(home) Special Permissions. Advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatrick

WinXP(home)SP2.

A limited access a/c has been set up for Net browsing, for which the default security setting is 'read and execute', but there are certain programmes, e.g. Adobe and anti-virus and firewall, for which I would like to have full control. The key seems to lie in 'Advanced Security Settings', where the Permission entry offers 6 options under the 'Apply onto:' menu. These are:-

This folder, subfolders and files.
This folder only.
This folder and subfolders.
This folder and files.
Subfolders and files only.
Subfolders only.
Files only.

Does anyone know, please, the correct choice to achieve my aim and, as supplementary question, do I start with C:\ and work my way down through the folders individually? Thanks for any help.

Hatrick said:
WinXP(home)SP2.

A limited access a/c has been set up for Net browsing, for which the default security setting is 'read and execute', but there are certain programmes, e.g. Adobe and anti-virus and firewall, for which I would like to have full control. The key seems to lie in 'Advanced Security Settings', where the Permission entry offers 6 options under the 'Apply onto:' menu. These are:-

This folder, subfolders and files.
This folder only.
This folder and subfolders.
This folder and files.
Subfolders and files only.
Subfolders only.
Files only.

Does anyone know, please, the correct choice to achieve my aim and, as supplementary question, do I start with C:\ and work my way down through the folders individually? Thanks for any help.

Are you changing settings in your own system or on a system that yo have anccount on?

You can not change anything if you have limited user account. You have to be admin

I'm setting it up - as admin - for my own use online, and am just struggling a bit with inherited permissions. I'll get there in the end; was just hoping for a quick fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back