XP installs hardware as "pci device" and won't let me redefine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this is a sort of quick question...

I'm setting up a new FIC IC-VL67 and installing fresh Win XP. The windows install completes and I end up with two yellow !'s in the device manager for items listed as "pci device". My onboard nic doesn't show up, so I assume that's one if them. I'm guessing other is either the firewire controller or the onboard video.

Properties for the devices gives the typical message that the hardware requires no drivers and none have been installed. If you try to change drivers, there's never any matching drivers available. Even if you browse to the cd with the drivers, it says no information about your hardware could be found.

Is there a way to clear out the device description that windows has assinged to these devices, reboot and let the hardare wizard start over again, this time prompting me for the drivers? Any other solutions?

Thanks,

Barnsie

If they are the onboard devices then the drivers for them should be on the disk that came with your motherboard. try installing the motherboard drivers and the Nic and audio drivers from the disk.

The onboard drivers are loaded but XP won't use them

They are on board devices, but since windows has classified them as "pci devices" it won't accept any of the proper drivers. I think I need to erase the device id from windows so it'll allow me to point to the lan and 1394 drivers and they'll be accepted...It's as though the motherboard reported the device specs poorly during the windows install.

There's probably a way do it in the registry, but I'm hoping that there's an easier way too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back