XP setup from DOS needs hard disk space 576MB

hi....
i have created a boot cd using hiren's tools...
i want to have a cd with both hiren's tools and xp sp2 setup...
i have inserted xp sp2 setup files...
when i started setup from i386\winnt.exe
it shows
"windows xp requires a hard drive volume with atleast 529 mb of free disk space..
for storing temp files during installation..
setup unable to locate such a drive with the required amout of free space...

enter to exit...

pls help me to solve tis prblm...
i have installed smartdrive.exe ,xmsdsk.exe before starting xp setup

Lets be clear about this, are you doing a fresh install from an XP install disc with SP2 slipstreamed, or just updating an existing XP with SP2 ?

You should really be installing SP3, not SP2

Assuming you are preparing a fresh install of XP sp2, you should be prepared to completely destroy whatever is on the drive already. If you are happy to do that, take the install option that reformats the drive at the beginning.

Other points to consider are :
(a) If you are hoping to just apply SP3, it sounds as if you need to add another drive, or replace your existing drive. An SP2 over SP1 added some 750Mb, and SP3 is some 1.5Gb larger than SP1

(b) SP2 is no longer supported. Only SP3 will still be supported until about 2014.

(C) a normal install of XP SP3 requires a hard drive of at least 6Gb, and I can tell you quite specifically if you do not have a hard drive of at least 20Gb you are wasting your time - get a new PC.

Not very clear what you are trying to do!

Why did you create a boot cd using hiren's tools?
What do you mean by "i have inserted xp sp2 setup files"

"when i started setup from i386\winnt.exe"

Are you trying to install XP using a boot CD for a certain reason rather than just using the XP CD which is bootable?

Or as gbhall asked, are trying to apply only the service pack?

sorry ...i want to have a cd with both hiren's tools and xp sp2 setup....
i have win 98 se setup files in the disk also..tat works fine when i start setup from dos...
during xp setup ...
i got tis prblm.....
pls help solving this.....

So, you do have an XP CD, then I would suggest just booting up with the XP CD and trying the setup and see where it takes you.

After setup is finished, you can install your Chipset drivers and your LAN if not already detected then do all Windows updates including SP3.

Saying this cause I know a lot of people thinking they have to boot from floppies or CDs, load Smart Drive and all to install XP and still not clear to us if you are just doing this as an experiment or something with your setup forces you to do it this way?!

experimental purpose only..

i can use xp cd.....
now i am planning to create a dvd with both 98,xp and some tools like ghost,partition mgik,killdisk etc....

so i have to launch the xp setup from dos mode....
i got sum tips frm web..i did so...
now i got the above prblm ...

pls help

Kind of all in one DVD, I suppose you would need a Menu, old DOS menus where kinda fun but these days I think they are using Autorun.

Search for "Autorun Design, Manager, generator or Creator" these programs will help you design menus and buttons to lunch programs, setup and all other file types from a bootable media.

I have no experience with this, may be other members have other suggestions or related experience.

If you just need help with the error, we still need to know what you have done step by step; XMSDSK doesn't have the size limitation Ramdrive has or had, another area I haven't played around with and I also don't know how many and types of drives your boot cd creates that upsets the XP Setup!

We need the steps

Sharam is right, we need the steps... and you should really install SP3 instead... Microsoft dropped SP2 support.

Back