Inactive XPSP3 PC Hangs b4 starting windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
PC Info:
XPSP3 (an authentic copy)
Dell 2.4GHz
2GB Ram
I have to drives (recovery and main boot drives)

I think I have a bug on my BIOS.

Problem:
The problem started after I was on Facebook (Had Win SP2 an authentic copy) and I reloaded the page and the page only displayed FB's loading vertical rectangles (in a way I had not seen before), across the top right of the page. After that I ran Norton 360 v.4 and didn't find any bugs. Eventually, I restarted my PC and I would hang before Windows had an opportunity to start. The only way to get the PC to start was to force the PC off and then unplug the power supply 3 times before I could eventually get windows (windows logo) to start.

Some of the things I did:
- I was able to eventually run Norton through safe mode and it didn't find any bugs.

- I was able to update my PC to Win SP3 through the MS Update Site

- I tried booting from CD drive and after many failed attempts I was able to reinstall Win SP3 on my boot drive. But, my PC continues to hang before windows starts, the same way it was doing before.

Some of the errors I had, prior to Installing XP SP3:
- Windows setup file nvrd32.sys could not be found setup failed. ( So I reinstalled GeForce 8600, my nVidia Chipset, and Theater 650 Pro which are all my nVidia drivers).

- <windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll is corrupt or missing ( I searched for this file and it was on my PC)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

I don't see how this is malware related, do you?

Thx. Broni

I would consider viruses malware. If I'm posting in the wrong location, can you plz direct me to the right place. Thank you.

I can boot from the CD Drive, but it takes multiple attempts (The only way to get the PC to start is to force the PC off and then unplug the power supply 3 times before I could eventually get windows to start.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back