Archean TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 6,059   +76

Ruined English = Modern English

3. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

What the hell is "jiggery-pokery"?

Sounds like some form of bad dancing.

4. Archean

Well according to Collins (on my cellphone) dictionary it means "it mean tricking people or being dishonest".

But I have been thinking about some of the words, I mean who on earth are so bored out of their mind or have so much free time to come up with these :confused:

Okay, one more thing, how on earth do you pronounce 'Twee', is it 'T-wee' or is it like 'T (silent) - wee' ....

5. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,910   +716

Twee -one syllable, and it's pronouned as it looks (think Tween without the "n"). The word used to be in fairly common usage when I was growing up in London (30+ years ago)- although it's one of those words that seems to have fallen out of use due to its (upper) middle-class origins.

6. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

Thanks for that. Even still, i've never heard that used anywhere...not even on American TV or anything (I do pesume it's American slang).

I also presume it was Jamie Oliver's fault the word "Pukka" got in there....Maybe they thought of Jamie when they wrote the word "Prat"?

7. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

I once again, am cutting edge...:p

[​IMG]

8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,823   +922

I don't know about the seeming present participle. "boffin", but "boff" as as verb has always meant to have sex with. IE; "I'd sure like to boff her"! After that, Leeky can do what ever he wants to her PC.

9. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

You're going to leave the man with sloppy PC seconds?!

10. Archean

According Merriam-Webster the word 'boffin' was first used in 1945. Whereas boff was first used in 1937.

So may be it has something to do with the WWII?

And I am not going to comment on captain's boff adventures :evil:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.