Yet another problem with newly installed RAM

By amh1
Aug 31, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all. I am new to the boards and I am having a big problem with the RAM I just bought for one of my laptops. I have an IBM Thinkpad T30 2.0 Gz Pentium 4. It came with 2 sticks of 256mb PC2100 DDR SoDIMM RAM. When I checked out buying upgrades for it, I found that the PC2700 should alsowork for this laptop, so I bought 2 sticks of 512mb PC2700. Now, no matter what I do, the laptop will only read one stick.. even if I put back in the RAM it came with it only reads what is in slot 1 and thinks slot 2 is empty. I have updated all drivers on the machine and it still refuses to see the other slot. The only time I got it to see the other one was to reseat it when the computer was booted and reboot, but then it would either freeze or would work fine until I tried to reboot again and then would not boot up.

Both sticks are good, as I currently have the other 512 in my other laptop and it is reading it fine. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
    Anna
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

Take a very good look (using a magnifier) at those memory slots. You may have some dirt in one of them, perhaps you do not insert them correctly and all the way, or maybe you damaged a slot when you removed the old memory. They should fit in in only one way.
    Take 'em all out, then reinsert them.Try different combinations old/new as well.
    You can go to www.memtest.org and get memtest86, to do a testrun on that memory. You'll either need a floppy or a bootable CD. Instructions on the website.
  3. amh1

amh1 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I have tried various combinations of both old, new and memory out of my other laptop (which is same type/speed as new). If the slot is damaged, is there anyway to repair it? If not, will buying and installing a 1gb card in the working slot give me 1gb of memory (1gb is the max for this laptop)? The cards do only fit in there one way.. I can boot the laptop with a card in slot 1 and leave slot 2 empty, but I cannot boot with only a card in slot 2.. I just get beeps - so I think the slot might be damaged. :(
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.