You are my last hope. Xbox disconnection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quipster

The guy from India who answered when I called Xbox had no idea.

Right.

The Problem:

I am being disconnected from Xbox live about every 5-10 minutes. This happens in games, and at the dashboard. When in a game (Mercs 2) I am disconnected from the EA server first, and then Xbox live about 2 minutes later. I can reconnect after being disconnected from Xbox live almost instantly afterwords.

The Setup.

The Xbox has all settings to Automatic, and passes testing. From there, it runs to a D-Link DLG 4300. All ports are forwarded. From the D-Link, it goes to a Lynksis VoIP thingie, then to the Modem, which is some SpeedTouch or something. Anyway, hooking the xbox directly into the VoIP thing produces the same results, and into the SpeedTouch gives no connectivity. My ISP is Execulink, with a 5000kb/s connection.Note: The Xbox works fine on other networks, and I have tried different network cables. Also, none of the PCs on that connection have any problem at all.

Please help me out.

Thanks for all the help guys... Really appreciate it...

Still having the problem... Anyone who knows anything about networking, I could use a hand.

Is this problem also occuring if another XBox is connected?(maybe you can loan one from a friend)

This post has been sitting unanswered for weeks now, and as soon as I bump it, your all over it.

I was beginning to lose hope in Techspot. Right then. I'll PM that guy.

It happens regardless of who's xbox it is. I've also noticed that it happens to my Battlefield 2 when I try to play that online...

The Problem:

I am being disconnected from Xbox live about every 5-10 minutes. This happens in games, and at the dashboard. When in a game (Mercs 2) I am disconnected from the EA server first, and then Xbox live about 2 minutes later. I can reconnect after being disconnected from Xbox live almost instantly afterwords.

The Setup.

The Xbox has all settings to Automatic, and passes testing. From there, it runs to a D-Link DLG 4300. All ports are forwarded. From the D-Link, it goes to a Lynksis VoIP thingie, then to the Modem, which is some SpeedTouch or something. Anyway, hooking the xbox directly into the VoIP thing produces the same results, and into the SpeedTouch gives no connectivity. My ISP is Execulink, with a 5000kb/s connection.Note: The Xbox works fine on other networks, and I have tried different network cables. Also, none of the PCs on that connection have any problem at all.

Please help me out.

so it looks like:
Code:
Execulink ... modem(SpeedTouch)---Linksys+Viop--D-Link(DLG4300)---Xbox

Not trying to send you on easter-egging trip, but precise make/model numbers for
all devices would help.

(1) as the Linksys has Viop, is your telephone using Viop and do all devices connected to the phone line have the proper filter attached?

Right. Was a bit of an Easter egg hunt, seeing as the lights in the computer room are out... But, using much thought and eyestrain, I have retrieved all part numbers.

Oh, and now that I remember. There are not filters on the phone cords, but there is a filter on the connection of the phone line between the SPA2102 and the wall.

Right then.

wirescw0.jpg

Nice diagram! --- strange wiring :(

the parallel links from the
Code:
                 +--- linksys
                 |
     Execulink  +
                 |
                 +--- ST516
is VERY ATYPICALL :( You should have ONE connection to the Execulink service
which then splits into multiple LAN connections like
Code:
     Execulink --- ST516----linksys(Spa2102)--- DLG4300 --- your devices

The DLG4300 is unnecessary and only complicates the settings, but as the SPA2102
only has two RJ45 ports, you need extrat slots for the three devices.

Here's the approach I would take:
  1. serialize the connections so only ONE device connects to the phone line
  2. connection one Spa2102 LAN slot to the DLG4300 using one of its LAN slots (ie ignore the WAN on the DLG)
the systems + xbox take the other slots on the DLG.

You will have to reconfigure the DLG to disable DHCP (use the SPA2102 for that).
Ignore the Xbox issues until the network will support the two PCs reliably and then
we can resume the work.

I will try your setup tomorrow, if I have time... Can't tonight because I have no light.

I forgot to mention earlier, there are 2 PC running from the DLG via wired connection, and one is connected to wireless internet. Would reconfiguring the DLG to be connected to a LAN slot cause its wireless not to work ?

I forgot to mention earlier, there are 2 PC running from the DLG via wired connection, and one is connected to wireless internet. Would reconfiguring the DLG to be connected to a LAN slot cause its wireless not to work ?
not usually

After further inspection, I think I may be wrong. The 2 lines coming in from Execulink... I'm not sure that they both do. They both come out of a large white box mounted on the wall... It has 3 ports for a phone cord, one of which goes to the Speedstream, into a port marked DSL, the other goes to the VoIP thing, and goes through a filter connected to it.

I have just disconnected that filter and put it on the box that the phone is connected to. I'm going to try this configuration... I cannot simplify the connection so there is only one cord going into the box, as it will cut off my phone.

After further inspection, I think I may be wrong. The 2 lines coming in from Execulink... I'm not sure that they both do. They both come out of a large white box mounted on the wall... It has 3 ports for a phone cord, one of which goes to the Speedstream, into a port marked DSL, the other goes to the VoIP thing, and goes through a filter connected to it.

I have just disconnected that filter and put it on the box that the phone is connected to. I'm going to try this configuration... I cannot simplify the connection so there is only one cord going into the box, as it will cut off my phone.

Let's go slowly here;
From the box on the wall there may be multiple 'wires', one of which goes to your Internet connection.
Another may go directly to a phone using a filter.
The phone can also be serviced using VoIP, but then the phone would be connected
to a network device() AND STILL using the filter.

The ST516 has two connections,
one for the LAN {going to your DLG4300(wan) port} and the computers/xbox;
another rj11(WAN) port going to the Execulink service.

NORMALLY, the VoIP service would be supported directly in the device
connected to the ISP service (yours is not and may be the issue here).

NORMALLY, the ST516 RJ11 slot would connect to a filter and then to the phone
itself, NOT another service provider NOR a standard analog phone line.
You might try one phone+filter here, but the ST516 may preempt VoIP.

IMO, your phones need to connect (using filters) directly to the white box on the wall and NOT the ST516 nor the SPA2102.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back