You can add items to your cart in the Epic Store now... three years after launch

Daniel Sims

Staff
Facepalm: One of the challenges facing any competitor to Steam is catching up with the massive feature set it has built up since 2003. Digital PC game stores like EA’s or Ubisoft’s were criticized for lack of functionality when they launched. Even Steam wasn’t immediately well-liked. The Epic Games Store is no exception, but most other digital stores at least let you add items to a cart before buying them.

Users logging into Epic’s client might notice it finally has a shopping cart. This week, the company announced that users can now add multiple games to a single checkout. They can also move them from the cart into a wishlist to buy them later. The “Buy Now” button is still there for those that like purchasing a single item with one click.

Additionally, the Epic Store cart will let users review prices in local currencies, set a preferred payment option, and select a percentage of the purchase for the Support-a-Creator feature.

The shopping cart feature has been on Epic’s roadmap since 2019, and activity earlier this year indicated it was coming soon. Epic also recently added achievements to games bought on its store.

The shopping cart even saves people who only use the Epic Store for the free game offers from going through checkout multiple times to claim multiple titles. The latest freebies are Godfall and Prison Architect, while the next one is a mystery that will unlock next week. Rumors suggest it's Shenmue III and that it might be the first of 14 games the store is giving away from December 16 through January 6. Epic held a similar holiday promotion last year.

Permalink to story.

Prison architect is a solid freebee. Def worth grabbing that.

Oh, does anyone actually care if a launcher has a shopping cart?

About time really, next to folks whining about paid exclusives this is the next most common criticism I hear.

A launcher, no. An online store? Yes.
I mean, are you really going to not buy something on an online games store because it doesnt have a shopping cart? Are you now going to start buying games on epic because they added a shopping cart?

Just wondering why this is a headline, I always thought the people who criticised Epic for not having a shopping cart were being sarcastic!

I mean, are you really going to not buy something on an online games store because it doesnt have a shopping cart? Are you now going to start buying games on epic because they added a shopping cart?

Just wondering why this is a headline, I always thought the people who criticised Epic for not having a shopping cart were being sarcastic!
It concerns me that your standards are so low, you genuinely don't expect something like a shopping cart on an online store.

And yes btw, having a shopping cart does make it more likely for me to shop there. Once Epic gets a Big Screen mode or gives me the option to stream my games to my TV, or share my games library. It'll be right up there with a store that's worth having a library in.

For now, I'll just take the free games so it costs Epic a little bit of money, probably never play it as I already owned it somewhere else anyway and carry on with my life.

It concerns me that your standards are so low, you genuinely don't expect something like a shopping cart on an online store.

And yes btw, having a shopping cart does make it more likely for me to shop there. Once Epic gets a Big Screen mode or gives me the option to stream my games to my TV, or share my games library. It'll be right up there with a store that's worth having a library in.

For now, I'll just take the free games so it costs Epic a little bit of money, probably never play it as I already owned it somewhere else anyway and carry on with my life.
Lmao, yeah I don’t care about a shopping cart. This isn’t low standards, it’s just my life isn’t so dull that I have time to care about a shopping cart lol. I can honestly say a lack of shopping cart doesn’t hinder my ability to purchase and play games, im genuinely shocked that it hinders yours.

I buy more games on Epic than I do steam because the prices are cheaper. Big picture more is awful and I never use it so I don’t really care about that. Steam has stagnated big time, it’s sales are rubbish. I actually haven’t bought anything on steam for about a year. Also there are a number of exclusive games on Epic that are worth buying aswell, including the final fantasy 7 remaster which I’m hugely looking forward to.

Good to see. Steam has gone without real competition for too long and it shows. Maybe they will wake up and start some serious improvement ... but don't hold your breath ....

Lmao, yeah I don’t care about a shopping cart. This isn’t low standards, it’s just my life isn’t so dull that I have time to care about a shopping cart lol. I can honestly say a lack of shopping cart doesn’t hinder my ability to purchase and play games, im genuinely shocked that it hinders yours.
It is low standards though, literally the definition of it.

I'm just going to leave it there, your comment(s) speaks volumes.

Back