TechSpot

YouTube getting 1080p video next week

By Justin
Nov 13, 2009
  1. It wasn't all that long ago when YouTube moved past the grainy, low-resolution limitations they started with and began offering "High Quality" video streaming. With high-speed broadband becoming ubiquitous and capable of supporting higher quality streams, people want more -- and Google is set to deliver. Starting next week, YouTube will begin offering the ability to upload and stream 1080p resolution videos, making fullscreen YouTube a pleasing possibility.

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,388   +425

Right on. Getting tired of watching YouTube videos where you could barely tell what was going on because the quality was awful. If the technology is available, then let's use it! :)

3. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 895   +135

"...YouTube is going to automatically sort through their entire library and bump up any content that is 1080p to the full viewing experiencing..."

That's a great move. I think Youtube is due for an overhaul, and this is a good start!

4. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 311

There current HD looked decent but sometimes streaming was slow. I hope they payed the bills on more bandwidth and storage space cuz there gonna need it.

5. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 921   +57

It's still flash based video.

6. Stonos

Stonos TS Rookie Posts: 29

YouTube should really get rid of Flash and make their own hardware accelerated player (like the DivX Web Player Stage6 used to have), or switch to Silverlight with Smooth Streaming (watch an example here: http://www.iis.net/media/experiencesmoothstreaming1080p ) so that their users don't need an i7 processor to watch a HD video.

7. Anshrew

Anshrew TS Rookie Posts: 20

Eh, I'll see it when it's released, but is Youtube technically 720p even now?

When I run a game windowed at 1280x720, it takes up more screen space than "Youtube HD"

So it's not actually 720p since it does not actually have 1280x720 pixels, correct?

8. a lot of misinformation in this thread.

first off, youtube has had h.264/aac audio for well over a year now, so there is absolutely no need for divx or silverlight.

and yes, youtube has also been encoding in 720p for awhile as well.

9. freedomthinker

freedomthinker TS Enthusiast Posts: 140

Well this is quite pleasing , but for me this kinda sucks ;D , i have an old desktop the GeForce 5500 FX ;DDD . So yeah and plus my motherboard is kinda shitty so . this is bad news for my PC ;D

10. limpangel

limpangel TS Member Posts: 65

I can barelly watch the 720p videos with all the bandwidth throtling they are doing in my country. It's like back in the old days when you opened a video and you had to wait a while to load it and then play it. Now with 1080p I can enjoy a snack too before I can whatch it.

11. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

How are they going to make money? They already make very little profit if any. This is only going to further put youtube in the red.

12. teklord

teklord TS Maniac Posts: 527

HD content is slow as dirt on my P4 and I have cable internet. 1080P will be unwatchable, I don't watch any HD as it is.

13. Don't stress over having an older PC, you'll still be able to watch the low res videos, but the option to view 1080p will be there.

14. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

i don't think high speed broadband is all that ubiquitous all over the world.
    it takes a hell lot of time to download that video here in India!

15. pizzada

pizzada TS Rookie Posts: 108

Thanks for passing this on, Justin.

16. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,104   +112

I'm barely managing the 720p ones. Laptop CPU + wireless = shitty performance. But they did say that Intel's 4th generation of graphics series will support acceleration (i have 4500m) so all i need now are the drivers.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.