Zen 3-based Ryzen 4000 CPUs rumored to come with 10-core model, new features

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: AMD's Zen 3-based Ryzen 4000 desktop chips are arriving this year, and according to a recent claim, they will feature a new addition to the Ryzen lineup: a ten-core CPU.

The news comes from Yuri "1usmus" Bubliy, the person behind the ClockTuner for Ryzen and DRAM calculator for Ryzen utilities. He discovered a 10-core SKU in the Ryzen 4000 desktop family, known as Vermeer, within the new AGESA 1.0.8.1 firmware.

If true, this would be the first Ryzen CPU with ten cores; AMD's processors tend to jump from 8 core variants to 12 cores. It also suggests that team red is positioning the processor as a cheaper rival to Intel's 10-core Comet Lake-S flagship, the Core i9-10900K.

This ten core chip may be the Ryzen 7 4800X. That could mean the Ryzen 7 4700X will stay as an 8-core model, while the Ryzen 5 4600X might jump from six cores to eight.

1usmus adds that one of the key features of Zen 3 will be a"curve optimizer" that lets users configure the processors' boost frequency and customize the frequency of each core without any restrictions. Another feature relates to the Infinity Fabric dividers, which allows for slightly higher IMC frequencies in mixed mode.

Back in July, AMD confirmed that Zen 3 desktop processors remain on track to launch in 2020. The chips are rumored to boast massive IPC (instructions per clock) gains over their predecessors while also boosting clock speeds by around 200 – 300 MHz. Both 400- and 500-series chipsets will support the CPUs, but AMD says the latter will get the most out of them, naturally.

Permalink to story.

Tbh, having both a 3700x and 3800x 8C16T CPU with no large performance difference never made too much sense to me.

Just as much as the XT line does not make sense as the difference is just too small imo.

Thems me boys

bloody love AMD at the moment, throwing a lot of punches, and landing most of them

good to see some competition again, the pc space is getting quite consumer un-friendly.

Tbh, having both a 3700x and 3800x 8C16T CPU with no large performance difference never made too much sense to me.

Just as much as the XT line does not make sense as the difference is just too small imo.
I think AMD got the message, too, they were selling loads more 3700's.

They just need to be faster than Intel’s 10xxx stuff and they get my buy. If it’s not then il be buying a 10700K.

I don’t like the motherboards either for Ryzen, you want more than one PCIe4 drive and one USB C then you need to buy a very expensive X570 board which currently cost quite a bit more than Z490 boards and have a god dam fan on them. I’m a quiet freak. I’ve even bought expensive quiet power supplies for all my audio kit, I am not happy about a fan I can’t replace on an expensive motherboard!

But I will forgive all that if they can beat Intel at gaming.

They just need to be faster than Intel’s 10xxx stuff and they get my buy. If it’s not then il be buying a 10700K.

I don’t like the motherboards either for Ryzen, you want more than one PCIe4 drive and one USB C then you need to buy a very expensive X570 board which currently cost quite a bit more than Z490 boards and have a god dam fan on them. I’m a quiet freak. I’ve even bought expensive quiet power supplies for all my audio kit, I am not happy about a fan I can’t replace on an expensive motherboard!

Most reviews of 570 boards state that the fan almost never actually powers on.... assuming you go with some decent cooling options, you're probably safe disabling it...

Most reviews of 570 boards state that the fan almost never actually powers on.... assuming you go with some decent cooling options, you're probably safe disabling it...
Yeah I looked into it, you have to put a big load on the chipset for it to get spinning up. And some of them don’t even have a fan (making you wonder if any of them actually need it). It’s still annoying that I need to spend so much just because I dare to want a second PCIe4 M2 drive and more than one USB-C. Either AMD knew some enthusiasts would not be able to put up with the limited feature set of B550 in order to make us cough up for a monstrous board. Or they just got it wrong.

Yeah I looked into it, you have to put a big load on the chipset for it to get spinning up. And some of them don’t even have a fan (making you wonder if any of them actually need it). It’s still annoying that I need to spend so much just because I dare to want a second PCIe4 M2 drive and more than one USB-C. Either AMD knew some enthusiasts would not be able to put up with the limited feature set of B550 in order to make us cough up for a monstrous board. Or they just got it wrong.
Well, since Intel doesn't officially support PCIe 4.0 yet, I guess AMD figured they could pretty much charge whatever they wanted...

Hopefully, with new Intel boards coming soon, this will force AMD to lower theirs...

Well, since Intel doesn't officially support PCIe 4.0 yet, I guess AMD figured they could pretty much charge whatever they wanted...

Hopefully, with new Intel boards coming soon, this will force AMD to lower theirs...
There’s also the X670 board coming. Which I find a bit odd, the X570 board is already kinda overkill. But I’m sure AMD have gimped it in a really annoying area to ensure users are forced pay even more for the latest tech. I can assure you, if the X670 omits the fan then Il be picking it over the X570. I really don’t like that fan.

My current motherboard is an Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero that cost £160 in 2014 and to get an Asus ROG X570 Hero today I need to pay £379.99. It’s obscene for a motherboard, it’s just a bunch of slots and capacitors! People complain about the price increase of GPUs, I don’t mind that, it’s the markup on motherboards I don’t like! At least I get more fps with a GPU, all a motherboard does is work or not work.

You know there are loads of PCI-E adapter cards available so that you can slap an extra drive? The same goes for USB adapters.
The advantage I see with these is that you can reuse them in other setups, too, and most people have loads of empty PCI-E on their mainboards anyway (I know I do).

I believe most folk did the homework on a decent motherboard before buying a 550/570 and got a good 450 before sniffing at the PCI4 advantages....and they were and are still not too cheap.

You know there are loads of PCI-E adapter cards available so that you can slap an extra drive? The same goes for USB adapters.
The advantage I see with these is that you can reuse them in other setups, too, and most people have loads of empty PCI-E on their mainboards anyway (I know I do).
You only get PCIe4 on B550 on the slots that’s connected directly to the CPU. That’s usually the first two slots and the first M2 slot The B550 chipset itself doesn’t have PCIe4. So unless you want to run your GPU at 8X you can’t add any more PCIe4 drives beyond the first one, with or without adapters.

You only get PCIe4 on B550 on the slots that’s connected directly to the CPU. That’s usually the first two slots and the first M2 slot The B550 chipset itself doesn’t have PCIe4. So unless you want to run your GPU at 8X you can’t add any more PCIe4 drives beyond the first one, with or without adapters.
I've looked recently at differences between good gen 3 nvme and good gen 4 ones and it's not something that would trouble me in the least, but YMMV.

I've looked recently at differences between good gen 3 nvme and good gen 4 ones and it's not something that would trouble me in the least, but YMMV.
Yeah there is no difference that I would benefit from (maybe Nvidia IO or whatever it’s called). But I seem to own motherboards for many years, my current one is 6 years old. So I would like tomorrows features if possible. Also I do already own a PCIe4 M2 drive (in an adapter in my 6 year old board).

If you don’t want PCIe4 at all you could happily get a B450 board and a usb C splitter (if they exist).

I’m surprised at the negativity over amd and x570. You guys do know that a x670 chipset is likely only due to needing to keep up with name changes and to keep one number ahead on intel, right? The x570 isn’t gimped, it’s arguably the most powerful motherboard chipset we’ve seen in a long time.

The real concern should be if AMD finally can manage to beat 14nm++++ super turbo edition in games, or will still be slower then a 10900k
You don’t need it. Those on YouTube who replaced the fan with a simple silent heatsink found temperatures tended to be lower on the silent heat sinks, because in addition to tiny useless fans most of the heat sinks to go with the fans have the tiniest surface area.

The fan is utterly worthless. The only good cooling fan on a x570 is the unify from MSI.

If you look at the specs of the boards, even the budget $170 X570 models carry high end VRMs so it's not just price gouging. The X570 boards are targeted at bleeding edge enthusiasts and the price reflects that.

The prices could probably be lowered now that the B550 chipset is out.

No my Asus X570 Prime Pro board I'm using which only cost me $290 CAD has dual m2 and I'm using the front mounted USB-C port on my Fractal Design Meshify S2. You don't need to spend $500+ on a board for that.

As for the chipset fan I've not heard it once in the 7 months I've been on this system. You will upgrade motherboard before that fan fails. Its a non issue this isn't chipset fans from 90's motherboards.

There’s also the X670 board coming. Which I find a bit odd, the X570 board is already kinda overkill. But I’m sure AMD have gimped it in a really annoying area to ensure users are forced pay even more for the latest tech. I can assure you, if the X670 omits the fan then Il be picking it over the X570. I really don’t like that fan.

My current motherboard is an Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero that cost £160 in 2014 and to get an Asus ROG X570 Hero today I need to pay £379.99. It’s obscene for a motherboard, it’s just a bunch of slots and capacitors! People complain about the price increase of GPUs, I don’t mind that, it’s the markup on motherboards I don’t like! At least I get more fps with a GPU, all a motherboard does is work or not work.

There has been no confirmation of a X670.

You don't have to spend that much, X570 Tomahawk its like what $219? and its basically one of the best boards out there, another good board is ASUS TUF Gaming or Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE and none of them break the bank, of course if you're expecting top of the class motherboard for $100 then that another problem : - )

I’m surprised at the negativity over amd and x570. You guys do know that a x670 chipset is likely only due to needing to keep up with name changes and to keep one number ahead on intel, right? The x570 isn’t gimped, it’s arguably the most powerful motherboard chipset we’ve seen in a long time.

The real concern should be if AMD finally can manage to beat 14nm++++ super turbo edition in games, or will still be slower then a 10900k
You don’t need it. Those on YouTube who replaced the fan with a simple silent heatsink found temperatures tended to be lower on the silent heat sinks, because in addition to tiny useless fans most of the heat sinks to go with the fans have the tiniest surface area.

The fan is utterly worthless. The only good cooling fan on a x570 is the unify from MSI.

I think if say 4700X is equal to 10900K but cost 60% of that CPU that will already be good enough

If you look at the specs of the boards, even the budget $170 X570 models carry high end VRMs so it's not just price gouging. The X570 boards are targeted at bleeding edge enthusiasts and the price reflects that.

The prices could probably be lowered now that the B550 chipset is out.

I've been disappointed that most B550 mobos have multigig LAN whereas most of the X570 does not. I guess that's because B550 came out much later.

Back