ZeroSpyware LE: What's your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlknaack

I have installed ZeroSpyware LE (freeware) and it found (?) quite a few registry entries it categorized as spyware (i.e. Adware, Browser Hijacker, Chronic Spyware, Commercial Keylogger). It has the option of Quarantining these items, which I did. What was very surprising to me was that these items were found when my other antispyware programs (a substantial line-up) did not find them. Just one example: It found a CWS, yet I have CWShredder which did not. This concerns me, as it points to the possibility of a potential high rate of false positives (or, conversely, this is a heck of a program). Reviews on the net are mixed, which some concerns relating to false positives. I am looking for comments from members with experience with this program.

Just for your benefit,I downloaded it,and tried it out.It found three cookies and a webdialer.The webdialer susprised me,as I`ve been using dsl for three years,and have scanned regularly with many other progs.That doesn`t mean to say that it wasn`t a genuine find.Aside from that,it seems like a good program to me.I`d rather it finds too much than too little.As long as it doesn`t do any damage in the process.
UPDATE - I just scanned my old PC,and it found a whole heap of stuff.I`m beginning to think you might be right about the false positives.

never heard of it. Most so-called antispyware programs actually contain spyware themselves. There's only a small list of about 7 or 8 programs that are actually valid good programs.

Tedster said:
never heard of it. Most so-called antispyware programs actually contain spyware themselves. There's only a small list of about 7 or 8 programs that are actually valid good programs.
Zerospyware is offered by all the main download sites including,Windows market place,download.com,snapfiles,etc.,so I think we can be sure it`s not spyware.It`s had generally good reviews,and it also has good support.There is a slight issue about false positives,but it seems to find the genuine stuff as well.You have to give new programs a chance,otherwise we`ll all get stuck in the past.

I agree with Peddant, but right now I am having three problems I am trying to sort out.

The first is that I have not been able to connect to the update server for two days. I used their online tech support, and they confirmed the problem was on their end. Now, while I am actually writing this post, a small window popped up titled "ZeroSpyware LE," with nothing in the window. When I hit the X to close it, a notice popped up asking if I wanted to interrupt the updates. I still see no activity; they obviously are having a problem.

The second is that some of the items I quarantined are disappearing from Quarantine. In reading the documentation, one can infer that the Quarantine is reviewed and compared to their online data base, and those items which are not confirmed as spyware are restored. I say inferred, because it is not specifically clear on this point in the documentation. If my inference is correct, then this reduces my concern regarding false positives (reference my initial post). I have contacted their online support three times to discuss this problem, but I have been disconnected all three times before I can get an answer. Peddant, I would appreciate your review of Quarantine in the online documentation and see what you think. If my inference is wrong, this program is history.

And last, a problem specific to my setup. There are two users on this machine, each with their own profile. I downloaded and installed in my profile, and I had to establish permissions in order to get it to work in the other user's profile, even though the other user has full administrative privileges. Now, although I set the program to start on boot, minimized in the system tray, it only accomplishes this in the profile which logs-on first. Second long-on must manually start the program, which then automatically minimizes in the system tray.

The update window is still sitting there as I complete this post.

I`ve run the program four times now and have not had any trouble with the updates.As for the quarantine issue,I deleted every thing it found straight away,so I don`t know whether it would have removed/restored them if I`d left them in there.From what I understand from the online documentation,it will only stop you restoring things that the database says is definitely spyware.In all other cases the decision to delete,restore,or leave is up to you.The problem antispyware programs have,is that there is a big grey area between good and bad.

If your having problems with the program,it might be an idea to uninstall it,and try it again in a few months.They might have their act together by then.

Today the updates are working, so the problem was at their end.

Now that it does not appear to be a problem with the connection, I will again attempt to sort-out the quarantine issue. I'll keep you posted.

Sent a email on 2/19/06 to ZeroSpyware Technical Support detailing the two problems, that is: 1) Quarantine components disappeared and 2) although ZeroSpyware started on boot for the first user which logged-on, it did not start at boot for the 2nd user at log-on. I am waiting for a reply, and will post the resolution, if any, of these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back