ZiiLABS intros HD-capable system-on-a-chip for netbooks, other small devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

ZiiLABS, a subsidiary of Creative, has introduced what it claims is the world's first 1080p Blu-ray quality handheld media processor. Called the ZMS-08, ZiiLABS' new system-on-a-chip features full H.264HD 1080p playback, 24fps encoding, HD video conferencing, OpenGL ES 2.0 support, an integrated HDMI controller, X-Fi audio and Flash acceleration. With 1080p playback at up to 40Mb/s and the incorporated HDMI controller users could play Blu-ray quality video directly on an HDTV.

The ZMS-08 packs a 1GHz ARM Cortex-A8 with 256K L2 cache, NEON TrustZone security technology, and can address up to 1GB of MDDR or DDR2 333MHz RAM. The chip is aimed at small form factor devices such as tablets, netbooks, connected TVs, and video conferencing systems -- a segment currently being chased by Intel and Nvidia.

I haven't seen a price, so I'm not sure where the ZMS-08 will sit among its competitors, but the chip is currently being sampled by customers and mass shipment is planned for the first quarter of next year.

Permalink to story.

As long as this is accesible and doesn't make the netbooks to become pricier this is an excelent piece of hardware to add to netbooks!

nice upgrade to the netbook cpu speed but i think it will also make the prices go up on netbooks which in the long run i dont like :(

I'm agreeing with the concern on pricing here. If it drives the netbook prices up it might kill the netbook in the kind of economy we have right now. But it might work better for ultraportable laptops.

Bout time Intel has some competition ,, The biggest problem with Atom is Intel made it and they have to sell it for a discount with there CRAP graphics.

Is it me, or didn't Nvidia do this already with their Tegra platform?? They have a 720p and an 1080p ARM based system on a chip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back