Zotac preps custom GTX 580, GTX 560 rumored for May 17

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Chinese tech site MyDrivers has some early details on Zotac's upcoming premium-grade Nvidia GeForce GTX 580. Set to debut this June at Computex Taipei, the GTX 580 Extreme Edition features a custom PCB outfitted with a 16+2 phase power design, spiffy Japanese capacitors, a custom cooler as well as factory-overclocked GPU and memory frequencies.

The GF110-powered card comes with all 512 CUDA cores enabled and features an 850MHz GPU clock (up from 772MHz), 1.5GB of GDDR5 VRAM running at an effective 4400MHz (from 4008MHz), a 384-bit bus, and two-way SLI support. In addition to the stock configuration of one HDMI and two DVI ports, Zotac has added a DisplayPort output.

That's crammed onto a PCB that is reportedly half an inch shorter than the standard 10.5-inch GTX 580 reference card. Meanwhile, heat dissipation is handled by a triple-slot solution consisting of a thin plate with fins for the GDDR5 memory and VRMs, as well as a nickel-plated copper block with six 6mm heatpipes and two 120mm Titan fans for the GPU.

No word on pricing yet, but it wouldn't shock us if the card launched for a $100 premium over the stock GTX 580. In other Nvidia news, the GTX 560 is now rumored to be due on May 17. The non-Titanium card is expected to rest between the GTX 550 Ti and GTX 560 Ti with 336 CUDA cores, 56 TMUs, a 256-bit interface and 1GB of GDDR5 memory for ~$199.

Permalink to story.

...and mainland Chinese?

Typically these type of cards are usually "asia only" market SKU's - note the cheap Transformers styling compared with Zotac's "standard" Zalman cooled AMP2.
All that's missing is the cheapo "gold" plating and half a dozen "activity" LED's.

It's probably louder, and in a more annoying frequency range.
Dint realize yo' be down wit the rrba scene cap'n!

Though if a 12cm fan or two is more annoying than car audio I'd guess that your streets must be rockin' to the sound of stolen Bentleys, with their audio governed down to 7 watts and the CD stacker crammed full of Mantovani and AOR :shudder:

Dint realize yo' be down wit the rrba scene cap'n!

Though if a 12cm fan or two is more annoying than car audio I'd guess that your streets must be rockin' to the sound of stolen Bentleys, with their audio governed down to 7 watts and the CD stacker crammed full of Mantovani and AOR :shudder:
Well, I was sort of mentally adjusting the vid cards fans for listening distance. I'm not stupid enough to stuff my head in a sub cabinet, but I have no such inhibitions regarding a computer case.

Besides an MP3 player has it's own special signature annoyance, when somebody's got their ear buds in and the POS is all the way up. I liken it to a DA sander, in 4/4 time. Or perhaps somebody banging a spoon on a pot, three rooms away.

I grew up believing that the mid range was the most important part of the sound, as it contains most of the intellectual and emotional parts of the music, and the more money you spent on equipment, the wider the sound's frequency field became. I just don't get plastic 1000 watt subs with tinker toy plastic front channels. You come up with a sound front that only appeals to certain very stultified members of third world populations. Well, with the sub, given the right location, you might connect with a couple of bull elephants. Nothing lasting I'm sure.

Besides an MP3 player has it's own special signature annoyance, when somebody's got their ear buds in and the POS is all the way up....
(not) quietly working their way towards permanent threshold shift of hearing. No doubt after welfare picks up the tab for their future hearing aids, they can parlay the money saved from not frequenting iTunes to pay for some 675 batteries.

Not doubt if Dante Alighieri were alive today, the Ninth circle of Hell might well be imagined as a welfare reception area where everyone except you is listening to an mp3 player or holding a loud phone conversation of no importance while "highlights" of the Detroit Lions feature on endless repeat from a grainy, loud, institution grade 20" TV welded to the rafters (Troy Aikman, Joe Buck, Terry Bradshaw commentators).

captaincranky said:
I grew up believing that the mid range was the most important part of the sound, as it contains most of the intellectual and emotional parts of the music, and the more money you spent on equipment, the wider the sound's frequency field became. I just don't get plastic 1000 watt subs with tinker toy plastic front channels. You come up with a sound front that only appeals to certain very stultified members of third world populations. Well, with the sub, given the right location, you might connect with a couple of bull elephants. Nothing lasting I'm sure.

Some of us were forced to be the recipients of correcting previous geographic based disparities in educational funding, and so grew up listening to music not otherwise associated with the location of our residence, and enjoy listening to loud low frequency sounds.

Some of us were forced to be the recipients of correcting previous geographic based disparities in educational funding, and so grew up listening to music not otherwise associated with the location of our residence, and enjoy listening to loud low frequency sounds.
Be that as it may, will you admit there's no intellectual information contained at those frequencies? It's mostly reptile brain ranting and territorialism, sort of like a gorilla banging on its chest.

Persist in this if you must, I suppose we can work, "nature versus nurture" into the dialog.

captaincranky said:
Be that as it may, will you admit there's no intellectual information contained at those frequencies? It's mostly reptile brain ranting and territorialism, sort of like a gorilla banging on its chest.

Most of it, yes, but there are some exceptions. Some metaphors can't just be the product of random flipping through a dictionary, and at least during its nascent period, it was a form of expression about various sorts of social issues not otherwise covered by the media.

But to each his own, I've long accepted the fact that virtually none of my friends will share that aspect of my musical taste.

Most of it, yes, but there are some exceptions. Some metaphors can't just be the product of random flipping through a dictionary, and at least during its nascent period, it was a form of expression about various sorts of social issues not otherwise covered by the media.

But to each his own, I've long accepted the fact that virtually none of my friends will share that aspect of my musical taste.
Rather than a long discourse on "standing wave length in air and the effect of phase shifting on ultra low frequency sounds", I'll go with this; "a high quality subwoofer would be invaluable in reproducing the 32' and 64' stops of the pipe organ"! Beyond that, explosions in the most recent action adventure movie also reap the same rewards.

But the crap sound system that seems to accompany the modern sub, are mostly just thud and amp clipping in the upper ranges. Pure garbage.

Really, even the most primal rock "power trio" has more sonic balance.

So what have we learned? The "1812 Overture", would benefit more from a subwoofer, than would Vivaldi's "Spring".

And methinks that using a disproportionately loud sub on, "Spring", would be ridiculously self serving and destructive of the artist's intent

Back