Young people won't stop illegal music downloads

By Derek Sooman on November 29, 2005, 8:09 PM
A report by Jupiter Research suggests that the music industry may be facing a crisis because of the number of young people still illegally downloading music from the Internet. Seemingly, the problem has now grown so big that the numbers of young people who download music from illegal file-sharing websites outnumber those using legal services. In fact, it is estimated that illegal networks are used three times as much as legal ones, and that young people have little concept of music as a paid for commodity. Young people basically have just come to expect music for free, and donít seem to see any good reason why they should pay for it. Is the music industry as we know it coming to an end?

Jupiter analyst Mark Mulligan said: "The digital youth of today are being brought up on a near limitless diet of free and disposable music from file-sharing networks. When these consumers age and increase spending power they should become key music buying consumers. Unless the music industry can transition these consumers whilst they are young away from free consumption to paid music formats, be they digital or CDs, they may never develop music purchasing behaviour and the recording industry could suffer long-term harm."

CrossFire851 said:
As long as(my dad always says this) " The Black Market" exist there will always be illegal conspiracies. conspiracies-lol
enasni said:
Downloading free music and movies and everything else on the internet and in the known world has become second nature to many people.Stealing isn't whats in there heads, just the simple excitment of getting something new. Not excitment that there not paying for it but just that feeling after you get something.
tomrice32 said:
Personally I don't use illegal free networks anymore, mainly due to the risks. I can see why music should be payed for. But I think lots more people would be willing to pay for the music if it was a reasonable price and if they can do what they want with it. For example, you buy music in a shop and it costs a lot of money, but you can do what you want with it. You buy music online, it is very cheap, but you have DRM restrictions (such as only playing it on your computer/iPod, not being able to put on certain MP3 players, convert to your preferred format etc). Another reason for buying music illegally is for the availability and easiness of it. Thankfully most music I like is now available to download on pay sites like iTunes. If music is a) Available, b) Reasonably Priced c) Free to use how you want to, I think people will be more willing to pay. The music industry as we know it doesn't have to collapse, it just has to improve and adapt to the times. P2P-like Networks with no restrictions, but where you pay money for copyrighted content?I myself usually use iTunes for all my music. It would just be nice if I could be free to play that music how I want to, without being restricted to apple products due to their DRM.
spike said:
[quote]Seemingly, the problem has now grown so big that the numbers of young people who download music from illegal file-sharing websites outnumber those using legal services[/quote]Has anybody else noticed the flaw in this statement?Those downloading music from [b]"illegal"[/b] file sharing networks have ALWAYS outnumbered those doing it from [b]"legal"[/b] services.Given this fact, the whole story becomes less about some new and profound realisation, and more about the fact that it's only now that the record companies have noticed a fact that was obvious even a few years ago. Maybe they were blinded by their greed?
mkatz2m said:
Personally, I feel the music makers simply do not get it. They would rather make music fans hate them and charge rediculous prices. $1.00 a song with DRM restrictions is not reasonable. If they started selling mp3 music of something like .25 a song with no restrictions, then I would make sure that myself and my child do not download from illegal sites anymore and we would not share either. I really think most people would act like I would and the music companies/artists would make possibly more money than they do now with a workable business model.
DragonMaster said:
I don't like Apple's manners:Forcing you to use their computer,forcing you to use their portable player,DRM,1$ a tune