UK-wide wi-fi network on its way

By Derek Sooman on January 3, 2006, 8:08 PM
A scheme to provide a UK-wide wi-fi network has been unveiled. The scheme, the first phase of which is due to be completed by March 2006, will give residents in the UK's cities access to wireless broadband internet from mobile devices such as laptops and PDAs. The first phase will see a rollout in eight of the UK's biggest cities and three London boroughs.

Residents of Birmingham, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham and Oxford, along with the London boroughs of Kensington and Chelsea, Camden and Islington, will be the first to benefit from the wireless internet coverage.

The networks are being built by European wireless provider the Cloud and will be open to any ISP wanting to offer services. Blanket wireless coverage will be provided in the cities through wi-fi equipment fitted on lampposts and street signs.

DragonMaster said:
I'd like to see that here! We just have 1 street with Wi-Fi in Montreal.
otmakus said:
Still the most important factor is how much it costs and how fast it can go. Vast majority of U.K has been accustomed to broadband internet, and a slow, though wireless connection won't be accepted. But if it's affordable and fast enough, it must be very nice to be able to connect to the internet wherever we are.And where I live, any equipment fitted on lampposts and street signs won't last even a day before getting stolen. Well, even street signs were stolen here.
rahuls said:
Apart from reliability security would be a big concern for this kind of network
Rhianntp said:
I look forward to seeing how this goes for them.
cyrax said:
In Trindad, we could really benifit from a service like this. The geography wouldn't be a problem. But its good to hear innovation like this is being embraced.
zachig said:
WOW. That's absolutely awesome. I wish this will be done in Israel too. But I don't know why I have the feeling that it will take a lot of time till it will be done in my country.
ArmyofKirb said:
donnagual said:
This is the way of the future I'd have to say. In 20 years down the road, internet is going to be how AM/FM radia is today. You can pick it up everywhere you go. For a geek like me, what a fun time to be alive. The tech revolution! Yee-haw!!
otmakus said:
[b]Originally posted by ArmyofKirb:[/b][quote]It will be interesting to see if WiMax will render 802.11g networks of hundreds of access points useless. [/quote]That reminds me, what happens to WiMax? It was very promising, so why haven't we seen it yet?
mentaljedi said:
I'm english and this makes me even more proud! Go UK! I'm sure its going to be fast because nobody will go for it if it is and i think most people know that. Security is an issue, but i'm faily confident that it will be mimal. At the moment, wi-fi has had its diffuluties but because this is such a big project, it will probably have "special attention".
nimo333 said:
It doesn't mention of the speed nor of the price; therefore, I don't care!
Crofty74 said:
Whilst Im happy this is happening to some extent - mainly because of voice communication access especially the future of mobile phones, this lamppost and street sign fittings thing is bugging me, a lot, time to read up on this I think for my own peace of mind from a security/tamperproof perspective.
nathanskywalker said:
O.K. I say we beat them, what'd yah think...North America?