Barclays endorses F-Secure software

By Derek Sooman on January 10, 2006, 2:15 PM
Barclays Bank has taken the move of offering F-Secure’s Internet Security (comprising protection against viruses, spyware and rootkits) to its customers, replacing its previous endorsement of similar Symantec products. The deal, which will give F-Secure access to Barclays' five million online banking customers, is part of a wider drive to protect Barclays' customers when using the Internet. The threats of phishing attacks and identity fraud have become a serious matter, and Barclays wants its customers protected.

"Barclays has customised its Web site to support F-Secure antivirus product. Essentially we've built the back-end — customers can order our product from Barclays, but they are buying from our e-store. Barclays are the shop window, and we're the till, if you like," said Brian Gregory, Internet security business manager at F-Secure UK, told ZDNet UK.

cyrax said:
In this age, we can never be too carefull when doing business on the net. Its curious however to note how phishers will respond. If they have a system of advanced logins, maybe phishers will finally be defeated by making things very difficult for them to recode in their phishing scripts.
PanicX said:
asphix said:
[b]Originally posted by PanicX:[/b][quote]While I cheer Barclays for dropping symantec and picking up F-Secure instead. I've found F-Secure's Internet Security product to feel rather bloated. I installed a trial version about 6 months ago and it loaded up some 9 processes in the backround and grabbed about 30Mb of memory. It did however work well. [/quote]wow, thats quite a resource hog. I guess the price of better security. I look forward to the day a really great solution is found that makes all our current solutions pale in comparison. Its even more tough these days with so many anti-virus anti-spam programs floating around adding to consumer confusion.
mentaljedi said:
It doesn't matter much Panic X cos for Barclays, thats not a problem. Thank goodness Synmatic's out of the window. Probably the best thing for their security to do.
Race said:
I suspect that phishing scams will be a problem regardless, but I'd be curious to know the behind-the-scenes reasons for the switch.Educating the user would seem to be just as important.Speaking of anti-virus resource hogs......like F-Secure, each new version of Symantec's AV demands more as new features are added.Though I'm currently using Norton AV 2006, this is only because I picked it up for free after rebates. I was in the process of switching to AVG, which is more 'resource friendly', but on install there was a conflict with my version of Roxio's burning software. I would have had to delete the program, or upgrade to the 'Media 8' version (minimum of $50).I'll have to re-evaluate after the subscription runs out.
exscind said:
All anti-virus programs are resource hogs and quite demanding at times, so to me the difference between the various companies are minimal. I personally only use Norton products nowadays because I always get them for free (with rebates). I used AVG for about a year before switching to Norton, and it probably is a better product. I guess I just use Norton for the sake of knowing that Norton will always have updates (albeit sporadic) and will not flop under, something I can't say for AVG since I don't know much about it (though I have heard it is also quite good).But it is terrific to see Barclays taking the initiative to use the software protection that they think it's best for the customers rather than getting pressured and railroaded by big companies like Norton.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by PanicX:[/b][quote]While I cheer Barclays for dropping symantec and picking up F-Secure instead. I've found F-Secure's Internet Security product to feel rather bloated. I installed a trial version about 6 months ago and it loaded up some 9 processes in the backround and grabbed about 30Mb of memory. It did however work well. [/quote]It doesn't work well here - we have to use it at work with Windows. Of course I'm using Linux on my work machine :PIt's not the memory or number of processes that annoys us, it's more that it refuses to work correctly. The taskbar icon disappears on its own, applications are blocked even if they're set as allowed, the controls for firewall and other settings are too restrictive or just disabled, etc.
PanicX said:
I ran it on my secondary machine for the trial period, only really played with it for the first week and thought everything was working fine. I use my secondary machine for email, web and some p2p, and other than the performance hit, I didn't run into any issues. It was quite some time ago so perhaps your issues are more recent developments or related to other installed software. I personally have only been impressed by [url=http://www.kasperskylabs.com]Kaspersky Antivirus[/url], I'm running it as we speak and its utilizing a whopping 8Mb of RAM between 2 processes, bumps up to 13Mb when I open outlook, but I don't notice any performance changes. It also accurately identifies riskware/malware and updates almost every hour.I'd also like to add, that AVG is superior to Norton (even if you get Norton free). But only in terms of detection rates, system performance, updates and infection repair.
MonkeyMan said:
This is a Great move by Barclay's, in that, they are thinking more about their customers, than anything else. I like this company, because they know that customers make the business, and by protecting them, only confirms the businesses appreciation for them.