Apple to end the PowerBook series in favor of MacBook Pro

By Justin Mann on January 10, 2006, 6:21 PM
Yes, it's true, Apple has announced the end of the PowerBook line, to be succeeded by the MacBook Pro, a notebook based on Intel processors. Starting out with 15.4 screens and coming in 1.67GHz and 1.83GHz Dual-Core varieties, the new series will be using the Intel Duo processor. Apparently, prices will remain relatively the same as compared to the PowerBook lines, and come with pretty hefty specs. Up to a gig of PC5300 DDR2 RAM, gigabit ethernet and wireless support, 7200RPM drives available and up to a 256MB Radeon X1600, Apple is clearly looking to keep their specs impressive.

The new laptops are set to weigh at around 5 and a half pounds, and be fairly small, though not as compact as the 12 varities that Apple has with other laptops. They of course will be running BSD-Based Mac OS X 10.4.4, and start at around $2000. It will be interesting to see how the market for Apple's performance laptops, and eventually the iBook, are impacted by the switch to Intel processors.

PanicX said:
I just finished reading a [url=http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060110-5940.html
much more indepth article[/url] at arstechnica about the presentation. [b]If[/b] it's found that Windows will run on this laptop, I'm buying it.
Soul Harvester said:
Heh. Running Windows on a Mac. The world really is coming to an end, at least in the fashion that the original 70s ideal of Apple would have us believe. What do you think about Apple and Intel? What about Apple and AMD in the future? I think Apple switching to x86, though maybe not the best from a development or performance standpoint, is much better for the market as a whole.
PanicX said:
From what I understand, Intel is using a new [url=http://www.intel.com/technology/efi/]Extended Firmware Interface (EFI)[/url] to give Apple access to the Intel hardware architecture. Unless AMD can create a similar interface without stepping on Intel's patents, I don't think AMD is a viable source for future Apple processors. I've also read that there were over 1000 developers involved in migrating Apple from IBM to Intel and AMD may not be in a position to provide so much support for such a small market.
PUTALE said:
the specs looks really nice. man, I wonder with this new cpu, how much would mac performs over normal pc system. I guess now the difference in the laptop is really teh OS only since the cpu is teh same.
asphix said:
Windows on a mac laptop? Why? Cant you get something of comparable performance for much cheaper without the apple logo?I thought the whole deal about apples products were a) the OS and b) design. Correct me if I'm wrong. Although when I think about it the ability to dual boot between windows/osx would be well worth the extra $$. Use one as an every day platform and load the other one up for gaming or software not available in the Mac OS.Also, I doubt Apple will go toward AMD any time soon unless AMD releases a mobile chip to rival Intels. To my knowledge Intels mobile chip is MUCH better than the offerings by AMD.
exscind said:
The Intel Centrino platform (it's not a CPU, which makes me cry when people keep insisting that it is) is indeed better than AMD - Turion or otherwise. And so with this move Apple did make the right choice in choosing Intel over AMD. If you can dual boot between the two operating systems, that would be the sweetest treat for any Mac user. Mac isn't bad in my opinion, it's just that I like playing computer games and not many support Macs. And I know quite a few people who did just that because of the inconvenience. With the possibility of dual OS, it may actually bring those people who switched from Mac to PC because of the inconvenience of before. I'm not sure if this was Apple's intent, but I doubt Apple is doing that well right now anyway. So it can't hurt to try something different to appease a broader audience.
PanicX said:
[b]Originally posted by asphix:[/b][quote]Windows on a mac laptop? Why? Cant you get something of comparable performance for much cheaper without the apple logo?[/quote]The only other laptop I'd go for would be the Lenovo T60, but I love the idea of showing off my Mac to a Mac fanboy with the Win XP screen booting on it. Besides that I'm a windows network administrator and simply need windows functionality, but I haven't seen a more elegant laptop than the brushed metal Apple's. Plus the Mac would actually be cheaper than the IBM too.
sngx1275 said:
MonkeyMan said:
Well, speed is the number 1 priority for notebook, and desktop PC's. Apple, has made a very powerful notebook with this release, and for sure, will sell millions of these. So far, notebooks are the number 1 upgrades I've seen so far, and from what it looks like, notebooks are going to make an explosion into the market this year.
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by sngx1275:[/b][quote]Is it just me? But I think that the "MacBook Pro" has to be one of the lamest names possible for this. I guess they had to change it from Powerbook to something since its no longer on PowerPC architecture, perhaps DuoBook doesn't sound real good, but man, MacBook? That just sounds like they lost all their creativity.[/quote]They're not the only one. Pentium D is pretty lame, Xbox 360 is quite random and doesn't have much significance, etc... As for these new latops, specs are nice but there are better out there for a lower price.