Acer and Asustek to use Seagate 160GB notebook HDD

By Derek Sooman on January 25, 2006, 5:04 PM
As a notebook aficionado, you know how pleased I was to hear about the new Seagate 160 GB notebook hard drive. Now, itís emerged that Acer and Asustek Computer may launch notebooks that include the drive some time soon. The two companies are in talks with Seagate Taiwan over using the devices in their new laptop systems. The new HDD runs at 5,400 RPM and has a 4,200-rpm power efficiency mode to extend battery life.

Daven Chiang, Seagate general manager and director of Sales & Marketing for Taiwan, noted that designs for mainstream 2.5-inch HDDs in 2006 will be developed to feature perpendicular recording capability and a serial ATA (SATA) interface. Meanwhile, 2.5-inch HDDs with 100-120GB of capacity will overtake 60-80GB ones as the mainstream segment in 2006, according to Chiang.

PanicX said:
Kudos to Acer and Asustek. It drives me nuts when customizing a laptop purchase and your only choices for harddrives are 60Gb or 80Gb. It's rediculous that there's not more options available through OEM's when 100, 120 and 160GB models are out already. If Acer or Asustek get Yonah processor models up sometime soon, I'll be looking at them for my laptop purchase.
gamingmage said:
Wow this will help Acer and Asustek if they can get the deal. The hard drive alone is a credit to Seagate. Hopefully in the future they can get even larger drives out on the market.
exscind said:
About time someone decided to use Seagate's 160GB HDD! And I agree, one of the biggest turn-offs for laptops (for me anyway) is the lack of storage space. I don't like having to carry around a huge hunkin' piece of external drive storage. And CDs/DVDs aren't really great alternatives because of the lack of speed when having the need to access or retrieve files. The tone-down to 4,200 RPM to extend battery life is also a great additive to the already fantastic 160GB drive. Overall, I am very impressed with Seagate in the storage market right now.
mav451 said:
Very very nice. This along with Seagate buying out Maxtor a few weeks earlier...Seagate really making moves in the hard drive market =D.Always good news for us.
canadian said:
I wonder how long until there are 500 gigabyte harddrives in laptops.
PUTALE said:
good new that laptop HD keeps getting larger. NOw if and only if the price will drop more to be more affordable.
djleyo said:
mentaljedi said:
ALEKXANDER said:
[b]Originally posted by mentaljedi:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by djleyo:[/b][quote]the think i like more about this drive is the power efficiency mode because this way you can cram more video power to your laptop without having to compromise battery lifei think this is the most important to me for laptops (battery life)[/quote]Idon't agree. For me that's second. For me its lifespan (How long before it becomes obsolete), in other words GHZ. If it aint above 1.8, then its not worth it especially with Vista (shudders) comeing out. Hey, does anyone know if Vista will be realease for laptops? I mean, i heard some PCs have trouble with it so...[/quote]In my opinion there should not be any incompatibility issue at least with the hi-end notebooks that carry enough power (CPU, RAM, Graphics), couse it is (will be) in Microsoft best interest that Vista is compatible with everything. I don't use notebokk couse for me its a bit absolete, workstation its quite suitable for me, but with 160gb drive I can just see how great it will be to put it in my pocket as external HDD drive and just brag about it infornt of my friends :), joking, but as small external drive will be really useful for me to cary around for example my video project.