Orange offers Dr Who on mobile phones

By Derek Sooman on February 9, 2006, 6:05 PM
Fans of hit UK sci-fi series Doctor Who (which includes me, I am embarrassed to say) will be able to get their geek fix via their mobiles. That is, of course, if they happen to be an Orange customer. The company has made a deal with BBC Worldwide to allow people to download clips of a number of shows including Doctor Who. Additionally, Orange customers will be able to download certain Doctor Who catchphrases as ringtones, the Dalek battle-cry of "Exterminate!" being an obvious choice. Other shows covered by the deal include The Office, Little Britain, the League of Gentlemen and Goodness Gracious Me.

gamingmage said:
This is great! To bad I don't have orange. :(
Need_a_Dell said:
Sounds like a great idea. If this does well, hopefully other mobile service providers will follow suit with the addition of other tv shows. (Never heard of Orange though. Must be a UK based service.)
cyrax said:
I loved the old Dr. Wh series, its nice to see there is still a fan following.
buttus said:
I haven't seen the new version of Dr. Who but I have heard good things about the series.I am actually a Dr. Who fan, however, my Dr.Who is and always will be Tom Baker (Jeez...now I'm really dating myself). The key of Time saga is for me one of the best sci-fi story lines of all time.It is interesting that digital media is being licensed like this. Apparantly I have underestimated the market but I am now assuming that people will be driving, talking on their cell phone while watching movies and TV.Talking about digital content...I attended a seminar last night put on by Intel talking about their new Viiv platform. Interesting. I do see the use and value in the home of the average consumer and the fact that it is more of a digital media server as opposed to a PC os also very intriguing.One thing I will say....Viiv isn't really anything that most geeks worth their salt aren't already doing. But it is meant for again the average consumer/user/mom's out there.Stay tuned for a massive marketing assault by Intel for Viiv.
barfarf said:
Tom Baker rocks as Doctor Who. Of course Dalkes rule!Read more about it here.[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalek[/url]"Their most infamous catchphrase is "EX-TER-MIN-ATE!", with each syllable individually screeched in a frantic electronic voice" You download a sample from WiKi
phantasm66 said:
[b]Originally posted by buttus:[/b][quote]I haven't seen the new version of Dr. Who but I have heard good things about the series.[/quote]Its brilliant.[img]http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/12gall
ry/800/05.jpg[/img]