AMD turns eyes towards Microsoft in anti-trust case

By Justin Mann on April 14, 2006, 8:36 PM
Furthering their war against Intel, AMD is now having Microsoft subpoenaed, requesting for documents that may relate to the anti-trust case against Intel. This time around, AMD is looking for evidence that development of code for 64-bit desktop processors, and how Microsoft viewed both the market and the differences between Intel and AMD offerings. What do they hope do find? A smoking gun might be hard to find, and some might wonder why AMD is pursuing this, since Microsoft initially supported the AMD64 architecture over Intel's. However, that doesn't mean that the delays in releasing Windows XP 64-bit didn't involve Intel somehow. As a user, I just want my stuff to work – I don't care about conspiracies. It'll be a relief for everyone when this is finished.

mirob said:
AMD irritating yet another company by peering into confidential documents. So many are the ones they want to sell more too. Shooting them selves in the foot?
pmclayton1 said:
I agree. Just put it out there. The market will have the final decision anyhow.
canadian said:
I really hate how the whole Intel vs AMD thing is going. There are countless people out there, that claim AMD is better, because it has a slight performance increase for games, uses less power and runs cooler. But, on the flip side, Intel is a better all around processor, that might be about 0.5% worse than the AMD counterpart for playing games. Intel, from atleast my experience, is a much better quality, and if your willing to pay a little more for a processor that will last many years, then its worth it. But in the end, for just performance, they are to close for the human eye to see.
Julio said:
I can't agree there, nowadays AMD processors' quality is on par with Intel's.Intel is planning a comeback with Conroe in the desktop (already doing good in laptops with Centrino, Core Duo, etc.), but for now I would pick an Athlon any day instead of a Pentium D.
DragonMaster said:
[quote]Intel, from atleast my experience, is a much better quality, and if your willing to pay a little more for a processor that will last many years, then its worth it.[/quote]That's not what I experienced! Even if it's not faster, I find my AMD K6-2 400MHz (With VIA chipset) much more stable than my Pentium 2 350MHz (Intel chipset), Celeron 400 and Pentium 3 800. Why? I never saw an application shut down suddenly without even showing a BSOD or an error message with the K6-2. The thing is that all of these Intels did THE thing you don't want to happen even [b]once[/b] on a computer when writing a text : Lose it because the app crashed! (And, for sure, it only happened when I didn't save it for a long time...)And there were other things like :-Only two RAM sticks on ten work in the Pentiums while eight on ten of them work in the K6-2. For the Celeron it's an other thing, I'd say 5/10.[Edited by DragonMaster on 2006-04-16 22:37:07]
Julio said:
It's hard to gauge quality based on individual experiences, not to mention there are many more factors to consider such as RAM, motherboard, chipsets, etc.If not from the beginning though, it's been a while since AMD manufacturing and quality control is on par with Intel's. A good sign of this is that AMD is now also a workstation and supercomputer CPU supplier.
DragonMaster said:
[quote]It's hard to gauge quality based on individual experiences, not to mention there are many more factors to consider such as RAM, motherboard, chipsets, etc. [/quote]True! BTW, I did try different RAM for all of them, and different PSUs, graphic cards, HDDs and motherboards with the P2 w/o success...But I had no problems with my two Pentium I non-MMX!
mirob said:
I have a K6-2-450 stable at 500mhz on a Asus P5A-B ALi Aladin 5 mobo, but my P2 333 is faster in most benchmarks. It's stable to 415mhz on a 440lx A-Trend mobo. Both are out in storage. My 450mhz P3 has been running for months without a restart using Windows 98SE at 558 mhz on a Abit BH6 440bx mobo! I think it scores like 20 points per day Folding@Home.I have had good experiences with both AMD and Intel. AMD has bad support compared to Intel's. Their spam filters stop all emails! I don't know why they even bother to put a email address for support in the box when you have to go to their website anyway. They have even had spyware on their website!
911allo said:
I don't beleive my eyes reading your text Justin. I will put it on your lack of experience. Monopoly is not a good idea, sooner or later we will (in fact we do already) all pay. Liberty is the first loss. But I have to admit it seems like americans don't care much about their liberties anymore when I see how well the Patriot Act was swallowed. The best thing that could (and will) happen next is a complete chineese processor including an almost free open source OS to slash prices, after progress will resume and lies won't be so common.