Seagate ships first 3.5-inch Perpendicular drive

By Derek Sooman on April 18, 2006, 5:05 PM
Seagate has shipped the first 3.5-inch desktop hard drive employing Perpendicular Recording (PR). Perpendicular Recording is a technique used in hard drive design that adds capacity and speed. This new 3.5-inch desktop hard drive is the Seagate Cheetah 15K.5. Using PR, areal density has been doubled up to 73GB per platter for up to 300GB per drive. The drive spins at 15,000rpm, and has a sustained transfer rate of 125MB per second.

crossfire851 said:
So basicly, the mp3 player would be the size of a ipod mini but be 10x more space.Humm, Maybe they will sell the idea to apple. Big bucks are to be made with this technolgy with the right marketing scheme.
Julio said:
crossfire851 said:
Oh it comes in a 3.5inch drive and 2.5''.Usally I will read the whole articles and what not, but this time I watched the ga*lttle movie[url]http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/research/recording_h
ad/pr/PerpendicularAnimation.html[/url](sorry about my american ignorance)
crossfire851 said:
The disc in an ipod is smaller then a quarter.
DragonMaster said:
[quote]Usally I will read the whole articles and what not, but this time I watched the ga*lttle movie [/quote]Eeek!Do they have other animations like this!
crossfire851 said:
[b]Originally posted by Julio:[/b][quote]Hmm... 3.5in = desktop drive, 2.5in = laptop drive. iPods use an even smaller hard drive which does not need to be as speedy. Cheetah drives are mostly commercialized in workstation and server markets. But given the advancement we could easily see Raptors in that range in the coming year or so.[/quote]You should have watched the movie before judging my comment, oh well I see you're point.
nimo333 said:
"125MB per second" that's impossible! My ATA HD can hardly reach 12MB per second.