AOL enrages customer trying to cancel account

By Justin Mann on June 21, 2006, 5:35 PM
With the uphill battle that companies facing in getting people to sign up (I've received AOL installer discs when buying groceries) for their various services, they are often reluctant to let customers go. Of course, this is ultimately up to the customer – if they don't want the service, they shouldn't have to have it. AOL doesn't seem to think so, and in an embarrassing conversation with an AOL rep, one customer found out just how difficult it could be.

“I think I could've put up with everything, but at the point when he asked to speak to my father, I came very close to losing it at that point,” said 30-year-old Ferrari.
Not only would just about anyone be enraged by that level of treatment, you'd think a company the size of AOL would be better equipped to deal with something as simple as saying “Goodbye.” Though AOL claims otherwise, this is apparently not an isolated incident, with people sharing stories of the exact same scenario spelling itself out over

Ultimately, this resulted in the rep responsible being fired. But will that change anything? A show of force in one sector probably won't change what appears to be a long-standing business practice. Do you see this or face this in other IT areas?

DragonMaster said:
An other report of dumb tech support.
DragonMaster said:
[url]http://insignificantthoughts.com/2006/06/13/cancelling-a
l/[/url]here it is. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrgghhhh!! I think I'm going to hide myself every times I see AOL now.
hanaleia said:
My husband cancelled AOL in March of 06. We are still being billed 29.95. The reason? they said we had a bundled account with Compuserve and when we said to cancel he had said AOL not compuserve. We did not even know we still had compuserve, we understood it had been cancelled 5 yrs ago. We have obviously not logged in to our Compuserve account for that long but when we asked if we could have our refund since Mar 06 til now we were told no. They supposedly have taken care of the cancellation(no refund) but we will see in July when the next bill comes out. such a blatantly dishonest company should be sued!!!! I wish there was something their victims could all do about it.SherryT
DragonMaster said:
[quote]such a blatantly dishonest company should be sued!!!! [/quote]Do it, or file a complaint.(You can!) They take advantage of the situation because they know that a lot of people will just be mad at them and do nothing.[url]http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/09/aol.htm[/url]Not the first!File an other complaint, they'll be cought by the FTC for doing this an other time.
Castman said:
I used to have to AOL "Save the Sales"customer service through a comany contracted by AOL.There is a lot of presure put on you at this position to "Save the sale".Sure they give you training in finding the customers issues with the service, also finding the customers wants-intrests and needs. Then to go and give the customer "key words" tocontent in aol to lure them on to keep serviceand possibly value in giving them a temporary special rate for limited time plans or give free time if offered that week.In the end to keep your job one week you needed to have a 50% save rate, and it would go up as your saves rate would go up, sue to the bonus incentives given that cotracted company due to saved sales, as they would want to keep these as compay profits.The technical rule was if the customer said " I want to cancel" three time during this discussion, you were to cancel the account. Many "savers" would either saythey canceled your account or gave free time so you wouldn't be billed for x amount of months to maintain their save rates-bonuses or even just to keep the job,due to lack in an area.There would ba an occasional "witch hunt" to see who was falsely saving accounts about every 3-6 months.I acctually survived 2 at this horrid job due to onething, personal integrity. On my phone it was one way,proper save or I would cancel. I very rarely if ever made any bonus due to when my saves went up to a pointto make bonus, my company would raise my save rate tokeep the money for company profits.But there were very few other jobs in my location.When the time arived I was required to keep 70-75% saves I left.Remember, 3 times" I want to cancel" then I want your supervisor, if they dont hang up for the save, if no go, look for the most local help you can find,some one may be more ready to help you than you think.Read above.[Edited by Castman on 2006-06-21 21:09:11][Edited by Castman on 2006-06-21 21:10:11][Edited by Castman on 2006-06-21 21:32:38]
Julio said:
Real bad press for AOL (like they needed more), really deserved too.
zephead said:
aol enrages everyone. they censor the internet for christ's sake. i loathe everything about the company and thier products. i really think someone over at the FTC should crack down on this crap.
bassrck4 said:
truck87bp said:
Two years ago, my Father Passed away and AOL gave me total grief. It was only until I sent them a copy of my fathers Death Certificate would they close his account. It seems to me that AOL is the worst technical thing that ever hit the Internet.
DragonMaster said:
[quote] I signed up for risk-free trial (DSL-cut-off Temp.) When I put in my card #,It said Iwould not be billed during the 90 day trial!!(they billed me the next day,-called and cancelled($25.90 for dial-up?) Supposed to be cancelled7/9/06,no refund,bounced around different phone numbers and wait times(took over an hour!)to cancell!! AOL-you SUCK! p.s.my bank even knew the phone# to cancell![/quote]File a complaint, you might get back your money.
canadian said:
DragonMaster said:
[quote] God, the corparations are really, really going downhill. What ever happened to a honest good company? With friendly people?[/quote]$$$
zephead said:
the honest ones went broke. and of course this is all related to the fact than the media and politics in america have gotten exponentially worse over the years.the entire AOL enterprise is a waste of electricity. they represent all that is wrong and evil in corporate america. that stinking company could easily stay afloat without ripping off unsuspecting consumers, people who actually work for thier money. not to mention that they attempt to censor the internet and otherwise control what people can look at.
wwny said:
the best thing to do once AOL won't listen and refuses to cancel your account is to call your credit card provider, let them know you won't accept any charges from AOL.
AMDIsTheBest010 said:
I absolutley hat AOL 16 CDs so far this year 16! wouldnt u think that they would run out of money to make these darn things, and o when AOL cam bundled on my computers desktop (like all the others) i fell for it and signed up, 90 days was up call them; cancel; still being billed; call again; still being billed; finally i demanded to speak with a supervisor and after only about 10min of me demanding to speak with them, they FINALLY tranfer me he doesnt even take care of itand $23.90 for internet, im getting NetZero 3G for $9.95 a month, and whenever i need help, they never give me a runaround, they always fix it the way an internet company should treat the people whos paying for their paychecks