Nvidia announces GeForce 8800 Ultra for May

By Justin Mann on May 2, 2007, 12:07 PM
If you have $829 you have absolutely no idea what to do with, you can now plunk it all down on a single video card. Nvidia has announced they upcoming release of the GeForce 8800 Ultra, an incredible expensive unit that clocks in at 612MHz GPU, 1080MHz memory. For your investment, you'll receive a more or less across the board increase of 10 to 15% in performance, as made clear by various benchmarks around the web. Much like we've come to expect with new iterations of the GeForce series, performance gains are not coming in leaps and bounds but in small increments. That said, the card is an outstanding performer at an obscene price. Even so, that isn't helping AMD any, who is way late on the R600.

The 8800 Ultra will be available for retail around May 15th.

wolfram said:
Keep going Nvidia. I used to be an ATI fan, but they have dissapointed me.Now please reduce the 8800GTS prices. That would kill AMD/ATI.
howzz1854 said:
they need to come out with a better single slot solution for the performance market. hopefully the next die shrink will come soon.
fornacis said:
Awesome! Yeah, the double slot design is annoying but if you remember the first GeForce 5 or 6 series had the double slot design and they eventually went down to single slot.I have the BFG 8800 GTS (640mb) card on the way. Can't wait!
foogan said:
blackdragon77 said:
[b]Originally posted by foogan:[/b][quote]$829? I never understood why people spend thousands of dollars on gaming computers, or "rigs" geeeez, it's not a freakin truck, don't call it a rig!It's not a compact import from Fast and the Furious either, so enough with these rediculous "case mods" blue lights? lights that change colour? black lights? neon, UV, gimme a break!But back to my point. I didn't spend thousands of dollars on my computer, I didn't even spend a thousand! I picked up a nice used custom-built Socket 478 P4 2.8HT with a Radeon 9800, Audigy 2, 1gb Kingston Valueram, 120GB, DVD-RW, 19" flat CRT, Altec Lansing 3pc, Logitech wireless desktop for $600 in spring '06.After overclocking to 3.2ghz and flashing the 9800 to pro, I can play any game that I tried. Fear at medium settings, Doom 3 at medium settings, Even the almighty Oblivion runs on low settings, which is much more than enjoyable.Mind you, I'd like to upgrade, I've thought about it before, but I just don't see the point yet. I'm happy with what I have. I haven't yet encountered any games that I can't play, so why spend the dough?So why are people spending thousands of dollars on computers? You must make more money than I do to be able to afford such an awesome waste of money. Why not buy some prostitutes instead?I'm sure most people who spend $829US plus tax and shipping on a video card might have trouble getting laid..Weirdos[/quote]Since its not your thing to follow the upgrade process like the rest of us then dont worry about it. just because you do something different doesnt make everybody else "weirdos".
blackdragon77 said:
I dont understand why everybody complains about the double slot cooling rigs. I have been trying to track down a stock 7900gtx cooler that somebody pulled of, so i can get off this of a p.o.s. single slot cooler on my 7950gt. personally i like big oversized and loud graphics cards especially if they vent out the back of the case. I guess it does make a difference though if you are running a Lan box, i run an extended super tower so space is not a concern.