Nvidia to launch 55nm GeForce GTX 200 GPUs next month?

By on December 2, 2008, 2:30 PM
Nvidia is said to be planning an assault on AMD’s high-end Radeon graphics cards, with the launch of its 55nm GT200 graphics chips next month, and Expreview has posted one of the first pictures to prove it. Specifically the picture shows the model number etched on the metal as “G200-103-B2,” with the “B” supposedly indicating a 55nm shrink, whereas another code reads “0833B2” to indicate that the chip was manufactured in the 33rd week of this year (or mid-August).

In line with rumors that have been doing the rounds for some time now, Expreview claims a 55nm GeForce GTX 260 with the same specifications as the current “reloaded” card (the one with 216 shaders) will make its debut this January along with a 55nm variant of the GTX 280, and a dual-GPU GeForce GTX 260 GX2. The chip should have drastically lower power consumption and overclock better as well – hopefully we won’t have to wait much more to find that out.

Serag said:
bun-bun said:
[b]Originally posted by Serag:[/b][quote]Hope Nvidia will launch it's new cards with a competitive prices...and also lower the current line-up prices a little more to compete with ATI[/quote]You say that as if they are not already. Last I checked 4850's were right in line with 9800GTX+ and 4870's were right in line with GTX260 with the single GPU crown holder being the GTX280...It was just at release that Nvidia wasnt competitive.
poundsmack said:
I am really looking forward to these new cards. I was holding out on getting a 9500 GT and waiting for a low end 200 line. Glad I dont have to wait much longer.
captain828 said:
low end 200?! there is no "low end" 200 atm and this new announcement doesn't change anything eitherperhaps by august next year we might have a low end GT200, but then the G100 would be pointless... IMO, you should wait for the 40nm cards next year (presumably by April)
fullmetalvegan said:
Oh sweet, I was going to get a GTX 280 soon - I'll hold off for the 55nm now. I was waiting for them some time ago and was about to get the current ones seeing as they didn't seem to be appearing any time soon.
windmill007 said:
I have a single 260GTX original and let me tell you this card is a beast. I crank every game to the max 1900X1200. I paid around $260 with rebate at the beginning of the year. You can get them for around $200 now which is just an amazing great deal.
supersmashbrada said:
I'm thinking that by april these cards will be available, not to be considered budget at all. Definately a help to multiple gpu solutions