Microsoft pulls Windows 7 beta due to overwhelming demand, some direct links still working

By Justin Mann on January 9, 2009, 4:53 PM
Shortly after Microsoft released the Windows 7 Beta to the public earlier today, its servers were brought to their knees by overwhelming demand. If you tried getting the beta too late, you probably saw a generic “Server too busy” message. The surge in demand apparently had no immediate fix from Microsoft, and as a result they have decided to postpone the beta's release for now. Visiting the site now delivers a "Windows 7 Beta coming soon" filler page.

Microsoft is working on getting more infrastructure in place to handle the demand. It's not clear when they plan to put the beta back up, but given that they want several million testers (2.5 million at least), it likely won't be long. However, the folks over at HardOCP have posted a couple direct links for Windows 7 beta 32-bit and Windows 7 beta 64-bit which appear to be working just fine for now.

canadian said:
Lol, in the discussion on the Windows site people are now posting links to this post as a way to finally obtain the downloads. Good job Justin!
digiwebbs said:
JasAce said:
[b]Originally posted by digiwebbs:[/b][quote]i can only download 6% before the download fails...anyone else having this problem to?[/quote]I'm using Download accelerator plus to get it and it stopped after 50MB, but I just resumed it and it hasn't stopped yet. I'm passing the 1GB mark now.
canadian said:
Remember, microsoft removed the links because they are moving to new servers. Expect them to fail repeatedly.
carl0ski said:
If the monopolistic zealots at Microsoft would suck up their pride and used bittorrent protocol to distribute this release, this would have not been an issue.Just like microsoft continues to distribute documentation in .DOC format and not PDF like the remainder of the technology industry.
yukka said:
look into pdf - currently adobe acrobat 9 reader and writer doesnt support UNC paths and has a C++ runtime error if you try to run it on any standard corporate network using folder redirection so be careful what you try to suggest MS should be doing- microsoft sending documentation as .doc files instead of pdfs is hardly a deal breaker. adobe haven't patched since its release in june or earlier and there are plenty of people who are desperately waiting for a fix to arrive. in the meantime anyone using folder redirection has downgraded to version 8. hardly a shining light eh?I already got the beta via msdn. its vista with some sweet ui upgrades. if anything when i go back to vista I appreciate that it lets me see more information on the desktop and taskbar than windows 7. again very difficult to recommend based on early views but at least the driver model is identical so any vista hardware should work with windows 7. it gets a thumbs up from me but i prefer vista as i can see more information about what i am doing as default.
ajy0903 said:
One question though, Does this has serial number for it,Cause it is direct iso link.
9Nails said:
Download was smooth for me. Both the 32 and 64 bit versions came down at 900+ Kbps and finished under 40 minutes.From what little I know, the http:\www.windows7.com website is supposed to be used to obtain product keys after Microsoft completes the infrastructure upgrade. I do hope that they consider adding 10X more product keys for this beta. If the demand is this strong that the Windows 7 Blog and the key code registration site crashed they might want to try to reach out to that customer base and satisfy them.
eafshar said:
u know what would be a good idea.. to be able to help out with the beta and then get some sorta option to get the full version at a discount.
fullmetalvegan said:
windmill007 said:
[b]Originally posted by fullmetalvegan:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by carl0ski:[/b][quote]If the monopolistic zealots at Microsoft would suck up their pride and used bittorrent protocol to distribute this release, this would have not been an issue.[/quote]I disagree with your statement - I hate downloading off torrents, especially when they sap my connection most of the time. I prefer direct links because they are faster for me. I'm getting 2 MB/s atm off those direct links, I never get it that fast off a bittorrent. I choose downloading off a terabyte uploading rate server than a bunch of users with the average user being 60kb/s upload.[/quote]Ya but giving another option for the masses whenever you have a big software release would take the strain off the direct download servers as many people do use torrents.
Badfinger said:
I missed the part below the main article about it being pulled.MS was still happy to give me beta keys and verify my email, but their download button did nothing.That's bad PR.
prashant agarwa said:
Where can i download windows 7 now because download is not available at microsoft website and i could find the file anywhere else