Asus Eee Keyboard to arrive in mid-2009

By on March 3, 2009, 6:09 PM
Remember Asus’ intriguing little computer stuffed inside a keyboard? Well, luckily for gadget lovers and home theater PC fans alike, it appears that the Eee Keyboard was more than just a concept device and in fact it is expected to launch in the second quarter of the year – tentatively around May or June.

Besides packing a 5-inch built-in display the forthcoming device will have a 1.6GHz Atom processor, 1GB of RAM and either a 16GB or 32GB solid state drive. The company's CEO, Jerry Shen, said they will have a version with wireless HDMI to send HD images to TVs around the house and one sans the feature. The first will reportedly run about $600 while the less capable version should cost somewhere around $400.

DarkCobra said:
Hmmm . . . an interesting device but the specs are barely enough to run Vista alone much less accommodate very much of anything else. I'm not sure what problem this is designed to resolve. Any small notebook could accomplish a good deal more. Still, the more I look at it the more interesting it gets.
Deathstar17 said:
I have to agree with Cobra here, I'm not sure how practical of a device this is, but it sure looks darn cool.
TD_Baker said:
one of those neat tech gadgets that's not really useful but cool to have
tengeta said:
Wireless HDMI? How'd they get away with that? Intel has been paranoid as hell about keeping HDMI locked up to a cable between devices.
DarkCobra said:
I hear ya. Like I said, the more I look at this product the more intriguing it looks. The mini-monitor on the end is a brilliant idea. I'm just worried about the really minimal specs of the core system. If it were beefed up a bit I'd feel more comfortable about being able to actually "DO" things with this device.
mattfrompa said:
I will say that given the price, there are more powerful and useful alternatives available. Although I wouldn't discount the atom entirely, due to it's acceptable performance with Windows 7. I believe it would have made more sense to wait for Windows 7 to release, and pack it with this product, although if Vista is used, then customers can be enticed to shell out more for the upgrade they "should" receive for free.
kingdingdong said:
i will buy one just so i can get rid of my tower. i think its a nifty idea and can have great benefits.
nazartp said:
This is funny - remember old Z80 based computers? I assembled mine inside the keyboard. Was plugging it into the TV. Every new invention is a well forgotten old one. :)
Jesse_hz said:
Well, most "new" ideas aren't really very new.