Conficker worm mostly a bust so far

By Justin Mann on April 1, 2009, 1:00 PM
There was a lot of hype drummed up in recent days about the most recent variant of the Conficker worm, which was supposed to deliver some sort of nasty payload today. Opinions varied widely about how extensive it would be and how much damage it would do. A number of security experts debunked claims that it would be anything serious, claiming it to be mostly just hype. Many security companies, on the other hand, were adamant that it would be a horrible scourge that you must protect yourself from.

Regardless of what you believed, the payload day has come. How has it panned out? So far, it's been largely a bust. The infected machines, which ranged from 3 million up to 12 million, have apparently not been taking part of any mass denial of service, and things are still quite normal on the Internet. Was it Microsoft's patches together with alertness among network administrators? Or perhaps was Conficker a misfire? There's nothing stopping it from still becoming a problem down the road, as 12 million infected machines isn't anything to ignore. But for all the hype, Conficker has largely failed to do much damage.

PanicX said:
Another media hyped frenzy for nothing. I've got 4 networks I manage and not a blip of conficker activity. Sure botnets are scary, but if there was some new zero-day exploit to worry about, it'd show up faster than conficker's update changes.
windmill007 said:
Zeromus said:
[b]Originally posted by windmill007:[/b][quote]Ya since I'm in IT everyone was asking me about it. I knew it was just another overly hyped BS virus but with every media outlet for some reason jumping on the ship everyone thought it was something new and horrible. I bet from now on virus writers will write there viruses with future dates. It will get more attention and notoriety.[/quote]Although I think it's still a risk, never take chances with this stuff is what I'd say.
trinitibt said:
Zeromus is absolutely right. Sounds like a "boy who cried wolf" disaster in progress. People better take all of these occurrences seriously. This can be an alley-opp to the real deal to blind side us in the future. One day people will dismiss a situation as being all hype and it will be the real thing and do unimaginable damage. If I was a hacker or terrorist, that would be exactly how I would do it. These people are far from being stupid.
oinari said:
[b]Originally posted by Zeromus:[/b][quote]Although I think it's still a risk, never take chances with this stuff is what I'd say.[/quote]I agree.Additionally, I don't mind the hype so much... as it's motivated many more people to make a conscious effort to beef up their computer security and take it more seriously. I was pretty surprised when my father called me asking me about the virus and what measures he should take. Surprised and proud.
avoidz said:
It's still worth taking precautions and paying attention - so it's not all BS. Besides, no one is really certain what the real purpose (if any) of this worm is at the moment other than to infect as many systems as possible.