Windows 7 to launch on October 23, according to Acer

By on April 30, 2009, 3:10 PM
Although Microsoft is not promising anything other than a release in late 2009 or early 2010, everything seems to indicate that Windows 7 will be out in time for this year’s holiday season. The release candidate went out MSDN subscribers today, roughly four months since the beta launched, an official download for the public at large will follow on May 5, and development towards the RTM is already on track.

But when exactly is it going to be released in its final form? According to an Acer executive, on October 23 along with their new all-in-one Z5600 PC built specifically around Windows 7 features. He also confirmed that any Vista-based models purchased in the 30 days prior to this date will be eligible for Microsoft's free upgrade program. Needless to say, you should take this with a grain of salt, but even Microsoft itself has said that “a holiday release is accomplishable.” Hopefully, an official announcement will come sooner rather than later.

aolish said:
dct693 said:
[b]Originally posted by aolish:[/b][quote]This all seems to fast, it feels like win7 is being rushed even tho 7 and vista are almost the same. I'm not sure about it. As much as i would like to upgrade to 7, there's a chance that i might wait for 7 SP2 to make sure all the kinks get ironed out.[/quote]Except that Windows 7 and Vista are NOT almost the same IMHO. Windows 7 is what Vista should have been. If you want, you can consider Windows 7 to be Vista SP3. It's far more reliable and fast, at least in my limited experience.
rjsymmes said:
[quote]Windows 7 is what Vista should have been. If you want, you can consider Windows 7 to be Vista SP3. It's far more reliable and fast, at least in my limited experience.[/quote] I agree fully. It seems a pity that Vista users (who got saddled with an unready product) will have to pay for this.
gingerbill said:
agree with rjsymmes , vista was a rip-off , i could see no reason to upgrade from xp and plenty of reasons not too . Not decided on W7 yet , need to read more about it.
AussieSheila said:
IanDSamson said:
[b]Originally posted by AussieSheila:[/b][quote]I can wait for it to be released! But I agree, it does sound like Vista SP3. Glad I never bought Vista.[/quote]WHY? Vista is superb. And believe me, although the two are very similar, Win7 is an amalgamation of Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Server 2008. And it is fast on top end equipment. There is nothing wrong with Vista, only XP users dislike it, because only XP users think XP is Ultimate and there is nothing better. Believe me, a WIndows 7 Beta Tester officially designated by Microsoft, that WIndows 7 Ultimate is SUPERB!It may not be PERFECT but then what in this world is perfect? Absolutely nothing!
IanDSamson said:
[b]Originally posted by rjsymmes:[/b][quote]Windows 7 is what Vista should have been. If you want, you can consider Windows 7 to be Vista SP3. It's far more reliable and fast, at least in my limited experience.I agree fully. It seems a pity that Vista users (who got saddled with an unready product) will have to pay for this[/quote].Well, duh, how does Microsoft generate income except from software sales? Sell Vista as is, that gives us money and time to develop it further, rename it, but start giving its millions of users a decent operating system that is reliable and stable, that doesn't crash as often, that provides users with EASIER methods of doing things faster, and so on ...I do not believe that Vista users were "saddled with an unready product". What is unready about Vista? Which Version? I use Business 32 and Ultimate 64, and there is nothing inherently wrong with either of them!One caveat: Take the time to get to know the way Vista works, and then all other operating systems will appear like behemoths by comparison. Forget previous OSes unless you are like me and have to support W2K SP4, XP-Home, Business 32, Ultimate 64 and Win 7. Okay? I started with DOS 2.0 or 2.1 back in 1983 .....So it has taken them 26 years to deliver Windows 7. Well, that is a milestone of gargantuan proportions and they ought to be well compensated for their efforts. Microsoft, no profiteering please, some of us only need "upgrade" CDs that hopefully upgrades the OS to Win7 and deletes all the other unnecessary hard-disk space-hogging <$ServicePack> folders that do nothing but hog disk space.[Edited by IanDSamson on 2009-05-01 09:02:32]
BMfan said:
win 7 is much better than vista SP1,my friend been using it since build 7000 and i have been running it since 7077 we both upgraded from vista 64bit and we wont be going back to vista,we both just switched to RC 7100 and we are happy with microsoft at the moment,just hoping they don't F'it up like they normally do.
windmill007 said:
Yeah I tried Windows 7 and wow it is so much better than Vista. It runs a lot faster and is what Vista should of been at launch. I feel sorry for Vista users that bought into Microsoft beta test of a operating system. But over time Vista will be regarded just like Windows ME... Crap.