Microsoft: Silverlight 3 coming July 10

By on May 29, 2009, 8:45 AM
Microsoft officials announced yesterday that they plan to launch Silverlight 3 and its Expression Studio 3 family of designer tools on July 10. Previously looking to finish by the end of the year, their present release date will come months in advance. For the inquisitive developers patiently waiting to check out the latest version of Silverlight, there is a beta lacking “go-live” licensing and the end-user runtime. Announced back in March, it is currently the only planned beta.

The third version of Silverlight is expected to bring upwards of 50 new features, above all 3D support, GPU acceleration, a slew of additional media support and out-of-the-browser capabilities. It is expected to deliver support for H.264, AAC, full 720p+ playback and an extensible decoder pipeline. Updates in line with the “richer experiences” include pixel shader and animation effects, a new bitmap API and improved text rendering and font support. Other features include 60+ controls with source code, deep linking, SEO, enhanced data support, and advanced accessibility functions.

freythman said:
Wow. I still haven't used silverlight. How many sites out there use it?
Matthew said:
To be honest, I'm not sure - I've never installed it myself. Someone must be using it, haha.
TomSEA said:
LOL....I was just going to say the same thing that freythman said. I've never used it. Anyone out there using it who can comment on it?
Julio said:
I know for a fact many Microsoft sites use it, lol. There are a few other adopters but I have to wonder, what has Microsoft to gain with the big push it's making towards Silverlight when Flash is the de facto standard otherwise?
hellokitty[hk] said:
I have it installed, but I don't notice it do anything at all, even on microsoft sites. Maybe because i'm using chrome, but it still seems mostly worthless.
tengeta said:
I'll admit, what little Silverlight there is, is fantastic.It beats flash in the face with a bat basically. Its just too bad its a product of Microsoft, thats what will stop it from ever seeing large amounts of use/success. And as far as vulnerability goes... its WAY less of a security risk to your PC and browser than Flash and Java are, but that may be due to the little use it sees.The largest misconception about Silverlight is that IE is required to use it, which isn't true. It comes for Firefox as well, but I don't think Safari or Opera has support.