Approval nears for 802.11n wireless standard, finally

By on July 23, 2009, 6:58 PM
Although already seeing widespread use, the Wi-Fi Alliance announced this week that the IEEE 802.11n standard will finally be ready for a ratification vote this September, making the high-speed wireless LAN technology official after several years of refinement. The more than 600 products that have been certified to the 2.0 draft version of 802.11n will be backwards and forwards compatible with the final version.

The technology promises a much higher theoretical peak speed of 300Mbps significantly up from the 54Mbps offered by 802.11g and supports MIMO (multiple in, multiple out) antennas to improve range and throughput. In real-world conditions, though, speeds are typically between 80Mbps and 100Mbps.

The 802.11 committee, meanwhile, has reportedly already begun work on the next standard, 802.11ac, which hopes to push wireless speeds into gigabit territory.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Woow

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It's about time. Maybe now manufacturers can make a 802.11n router that doesn't suck.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

Maybe now manufacturers can make a 802.11n router that doesn't suck.
Routers have equally sucked since 802.11b... Unfortunately, that has little to do with the wifi standard used.

I'm less skeptical this time, but the IEEE network committee has been in the media again and again claiming "approval nears".

LookinAround LookinAround, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

LOL And good point!

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

rick said:

Ain't that the truth.

JudaZ said:

Well not all router suck I have a D-link 655 that i personally think works excellent.

Wireless gigabit .. mmm cant wait (but i guess i will have to..for a loong time *lol*)

Jimmy5 said:

JudaZ said:

I have the same one, bought it last year, it is great! With the gigibit I have 2 Computers, D-link 323 server and PS3 all hooked up, HD on the fly. Plus wireless is awesome, from basement to 2nd floor still 80%.

Buy one, you won't regret it.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

D-link 655
I was actually going to point that out as an exception, but I didn't. I've had very good experiences with it. I'm sure there are other good routers out there too.. They are just very hard to come by.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

rick said:

Yes sadly... I don't use wireless much but my RTA1025W has worked pretty solidly so far. My old D-Link DI-624 was absolute rubbish tho.

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

the foundation for this subject was reported in http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic98671.html

and I would have updated it there, but being in closed status, I can't edit my own post -- oh well

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Buy one, you won't regret it.

I have the 615 version and i cant wait for my new one to come in the mail so i can turn parts on this thing into a key chain.