Microsoft to drop all Zune models except for HD

By on September 4, 2009, 1:47 PM
With the Zune HD nearing its September 15 debut, Microsoft has confirmed today that the touch screen device will be the sole member of its media player lineup going forward. The original Zune in both its flash-based (4GB, 8GB and 16GB) and hard drive models (80GB and 120GB) will continue to be available at retail until sold out.

Launched in November 2006, the ill-fated media player has failed to make any significant headway against Apple's iPod, but Microsoft has high hopes this time around. Priced at $220 and $290 for the 16 and 32GB models, respectively, the revamped device features a large touch screen, HD radio, HD video-out capabilities, Nvidia Tegra graphics and an Internet browser among its top selling points. It's also meant to rival the iPod touch with third-party applications and games.

Microsoft's decision to focus only on the Zune HD is likely meant to cut losses at the low end of the spectrum, where Apple should continue to reign with no-frills alternatives like the iPod nano and shuffle starting at $79. Redmond also plans to launch an update to its Zune software when the Zune HD becomes available, noting that it will be compatible with older devices but remaining mum on the details.

R.I.P Zune Brick. You we're good while you lasted. Can't wait for the HD. I've already seen stores around me selling the old Zunes for dirt cheap.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Hmm I might just have to buy an old model, if they're going to be really cheap.

tengeta tengeta said:

How dare they, learn from the Apple example and support the older stuff too! Oh... wait...

tengeta tengeta said:

Eh, I forgot a large part there. Both are being stupid by doing this, its just that I guarantee one will be hailed for the decision and the other bashed into oblivion as usual.

Didou Didou, Bowtie extraordinair!, said:

Where doesn't Apple support old players ? & you can see that they still sell iPod nanos & classic players, even when new versions of the iPod Touch come out. I don't quite see what would make you say that.

But keeping with the article, Microsoft might just be making room & clearing inventory before it announces some new hard drive & cheaper flash based players, but right now it just seems like the Zune HD will be the only music player they will be offering moving forward.

The Zune is dead to me. mainly because microsoft will always have the same problem of making software that the product itself is not sophisticated enough to run (yes I'm referring to vista, the end of year crash, and the fact that all zunes have a habit of freezing, dying, lagging, etc.) All i can say is the only thing that will put microsoft over the edge (to me) would be the ability to play blu-ray movies, have a much better capability for wifi (the later 120 gig version had it, but had a radius of about 20 feet) and most importantly DOES NOT LAG

BlindObject said:

I think I'm gonna buy myself an old Zune brick...I love those things. And now they're gonna be cheap..why not?

Yes, because you tested alllllll those zunes and found them all to lag and freeze. Good job dolt