Microsoft offers $30 Windows 7 upgrades to students

By on September 17, 2009, 2:29 PM
In little over a month, Windows 7 will officially launch starting at $120 and $200 for their respective Upgrade and Full versions. If you're a college or university student, however, Microsoft has a much sweeter deal in store. Starting today through January 3 next year, anyone with a valid .edu email address can purchase the upgrade version of either Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional for just $29.99.

The operating system will be offered as a download through Digital River, a company which specializes in downloadable software, on October 22. Copies are restricted to one download per email address and you'll have to choose between the 32 OR 64-bit versions. Not sure which one to get? Be sure to read our guide explaining the differences, and also our recent tip detailing the available Windows 7 upgrade paths.

If you accidentally downloaded or activated the incorrect version, though, you may still contact digitalriver.com for help; and additionally there's the option of ordering a backup DVD with both versions. Microsoft has set up a special web site for this deal at win741.com, where you'll be able to catch all the details. Comparable offers for students in several non-US countries will reportedly follow soon.

sweet deal.. thanks microsoft!

How do these upgrade versions work? Right now I'm using Windows 7 RC, which I know I can't use to upgrade from, but I have an old computer with a Windows XP license sticker on the back, could I use that code to activate an upgrade edition of Windows 7?

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

The article is actually quite misleading in itself until you have a read through it...

From my understanding from reading, its pretty much just buying a new copy for 30 bucks if you're a student with a .edu email o.o

From the topic i actually thought that it was an upgrade you pay for 30 if you just got a machine with vista or something... D:

Still, i don't see why microsoft can't have the key work for both the 32 and 64 bit versions.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Man this is good news, I wanted to get 7, but didn't jump on any of the preorder stuff for $50 or whatever it was. Now I can get it even cheaper!

But you know, I can't seem to find how to order the professional version of Windows 7 on the website. I can only get Home Premium. Any ideas on how to get Professional like it says in the article?

Punkid said:

great news !!!! its pretty cheap

gobbybobby said:

well $30 is not £30, ive seen alot of UK tech based websites reporing this story, and putting it at £30, $30 is £18 (Figure correct when I converted using the currect rate), I would happily pay £2 shipping to get it £10 cheaper!

I tried to order also and there is no option for the PRO version only HOME PREMIUM whats the deal Techspot????

A very good buisness idea from Microsoft.Why? Because Mircosoft knows that it is mostly students who goes to P2P or Torrents to get copies of their products. I'm sure no student will hoop off for such copies when a geniune copy is there for just $29.99.

tcharp said:

The article states that the offer will be available on October 22. Seeing as that date is still more than a month away, perhaps the website will be updating by that time.

Docnoq said:

Hmm.. interesting. Now I am debating canceling my $50 preorder to get this $30 version instead, but then again, I may need a second copy for my laptop anyway. If they are truly planning on offering the pro version, this is a no-brainer. I don't think they will though.

IanDSamson said:

The article says "anyone with a valid .edu email address". Really? How does anyone prove to be a student when the professors and other such entities at universities all have .edu e-mail addresses. This is undue favoritism.

Staff
Jos Jos said:

You must first apply for eligibility here... I assume afterwards you'll get the option of pre-ordering either the Home Premium or Professional version:

Through the Digital River Windows 7 Offer, Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade and Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade will be available for students to pre-order starting on September 17th, 2009.

Students who place a pre-order will receive an email on October 22nd, 2009 which will contain a link to access the download of their product. For those who purchased the Backup DVD, the disks will be shipped around this date and a separate shipping confirmation email will be sent confirming the shipment.

Read more here.

There's also a FAQ at [link] with all the details regarding the promotion.

Docnoq said:

Ah ha! I found the Professional link. Once you get the confirmation email and click the link, you should see a yellow strip in the middle of your page that says "Need to join your school's network domain? Click here." If you click that link, it will pop up the page with Windows 7 Professional for $29.99.

This decision by Microsoft to lower it's introductory price for Windows 7 is the best and most progressive thinking I have heard from Microsoft Corp for a very long time.

I wish them well with their market approach with this new software release. Let us also hope that the gremlins that plagued Vista are nowhere around when it comes to the use of this product.

I just wish I was a Student again, then I could get a bargain too.

Signed Carl Barron Chairman of agpcuk

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I'm willing to be it has a lot to do with the Snow Leopard pricing. Still, I think it's a win for everyone.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Traditionally thats how it works, sometimes things are reported as "student" discount, but almost always they are "educational" discounts. Same thing works with educational discount on apple hardware, anyone with an edu.

guyver1 said:

So this offer if not available to EU/UK people??

great

This is not as sweet as it seems. Microsoft has always provided a reduced rate for students for every operating system. I have been a student for 7 years and I am in graduate school. To show you what I mean here is how much I paid for each operating system:

XP Pro: $7

Vista Business: $15

Vista Ultimage: $15

and now!

Windows 7: $30

And the next windows for students will be $45 or $60 probably?

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

That pricing is based on what kind of License Agreement your university has with Microsoft - this deal has nothing to do with that. At my current job we make Vista Enterprise available (yes, right now) to our students for free if they don't need burned media and for a minimal media charge (I think $5) if they want it burned for them. We also have a decent Campus License Agreement to be able to offer that - but it's a very expensive agreement. We also do the same for Office 2007 and 2008 - and for the same prices, so yes it is a very good deal if your University doesn't have this type of license.

What about Canadian students???

Windows 7 Professional is free for University of Malta students (at least the I.T. Students) amongst other Microsoft products such as Visual Studio 2008.

Ballmer panicked of the Mac OS X prices and reduced Windows 7 prices.

To upgrade to windows7 read, http://www.goospoos.com/2009/09/all-in-one-guide-to-windows-
-upgrade/

Having contributed to the Gates coffers for 20 years, and been ripped off every time, I am well ****** off at this. Hey Windows 7 seems to be the FIRST Windows product which is largely bug free (have I spoken too soon). It is MY money which has financed this transition at the end of the day. Without me (and millions of others I admit) then Microsoft wouldn't have got where they have ,and avoided prosecution for fraud and supply of unfit goods through their highly one-sided EULA

I have pre-ordered and no I cannot get an edu address. Too old,.

So yet again I am charged over the odds. Gates clearly despises his long term customers.

IF Microsoft can afford this largesse then they should be able to afford it for everyone - not just students and academic staff. Disgusting

Bewick UK

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Not really sure how anyone can get upset over MS's old products - have you not been able to use them throughout the years? The only Windows OS I feel MS ever mistakenly put out was WinME - it's the only piece of absolute garbage I've seen from them. Everything else works pretty much as advertised. Would you have rather not used any MS operating systems until you could use Windows 7? Then you'd be completely new to the world of computers unless you used linux or Mac.

I just don't get what people are so upset about - they've helped bring computing to the mainstream. They've nudged hardware developers to get us faster and faster parts and pieces. If it wasn't for Microsoft you'd be playing a game of Photoshop on your Mac right now.

An average college student, makes more then $200 in 21 hours.

It may seem at first that $30 is a great deal, but in the long run, its not.

So save your money and get your self a full copy of Win7.

Staff
Jos Jos said:

Engadget did a test recently as to how long it would take to upgrade from Vista to Win7. It took a little over 21 hours on their performance PC. An average college student, makes more then $200 in 21 hours.

It may seem at first that $30 is a great deal, but in the long run, its not. So save your money and get your self a full copy of Win7.

How is buying a full copy of Windows 7 going to speed up the update process? You can still perform a clean install if you purchase the upgrade version and that should take less than an hour even on a low end system, according to the same article you mention.

That 21-hour update was sort of a worst case scenario setting (650GB of data, 40 applications, on mid-end hardware, and during a 32-bit upgrade). Other settings tested showed the Windows 7 upgrade time to be faster or equal to a Vista SP1 upgrade... Don't spread the FUD

By the way, those tests were conducted by Microsoft Software Engineer Chris Hernandez and posted on his blog; Engadget covered the story.

I just went to pre-order and the only option is Win 7 Home Premium: 32 or 64 bit.

There is no option for Win 7 Pro. Even thou under terms and conditions it lists Win 7 Home or Win 7 Pro.

Staff
Jos Jos said:

As previously mentioned by Docnoq in this thread: once you get the confirmation email and click the link, you should see a yellow strip in the middle of your page that says "Need to join your school's network domain? Click here." Clicking that link will take you to the page with Windows 7 Professional for $29.99.

you should just be grateful to be getting it for 30 dollars!

hey...no fair!

Us students pay tens of thousands of dollars for education, not to mention the time and effort we invest. This is microsoft's way of rewarding us. It's not favoritism. Don't be cold just because students are being rewarded....they're the ones who need it the most, more than you maybe.

Why isn't the Ultimate upgrade offered in this promotion? I have Vista Ultimate and would like to get access to this special upgrade offer, but to the Ultimate version. Please tell me the story behind not including it in this offer.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Students don't need the features of Ultimate. The could need the features of Pro because of the Domain stuff.

It didn't say anything about this being an upgrade... but after ordering it I got a notification for Win 7 Professional Upgrade.

The problem is I am using Win 2000 (don't have much money). I can't use this upgrade now?

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

You can probably install it without a key first (they let you do that for 30 days), then "upgrade" your keyless install of 7. Thats how it worked with Vista, and I haven't heard of that being changed.

I accidentally ordered Home Premium rather than Pro. Is there any way I can change my order?

Thanks,

Robert Wycoff

cfitzarl cfitzarl, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I just pre-ordered Home Premium for $30. I'm waiting for the 22nd now .

The windows 7 upgrade is actually incredibly lax in what to upgrade you from - you can only do a full 'upgrade', i.e. with settings migrated, from same version vista (32/64 bit) - however doing a clean install (even with the upgrade disk!) can be done with just about any os installed on the system - I've successfully installed an 'upgrade' on a windows 7 rc system! WinXP (even unactivated ones?) seem to install fine too - it seems it just detects that there's some version of windows on the system and then installs.