Tech Tip of the Week: How to Disable Avira Antivir's Pop-up Advertisements

By on October 28, 2009, 4:57 AM
If you have a free antivirus installed on your PC, there's a pretty good chance that it's either AVG or Avira -- both great options for the average person who needs a little protection. The inherent pitfall of many free applications is that they're packaged with nagware.

For most people, closing or otherwise avoiding the occasional pop-up ad and other nuisance is fair trade for not having to dole out their hard earned dollars -- that said, I believe few would object to disabling nagware in a matter of a few clicks. We've already seen how to accomplish this with AVG 8.5, and today we're going to have a crack at Avira.

Continue reading our Tech Tip of the Week.

tw0rld tw0rld said:

In the past what I did to get around this problem, was to create a program that would automaticaly check for and delete both the avnotify.exe and avnotify.dll files. I worked well except for the error message I would get when Avira attempts to execute the files.

kimsland, Ex-TechSpotter, said:

Run RegEdit

Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersio
\Run]

In the right pane double-click avgnt and remove "Min" and replace with "NS"

This will stop the Avira Splash screen from showing after you logon to Windows

Credit to member Poppa Bear, who first posted this on the forum in 11-02-2008

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Great addition Kim.

In Windows 7 that registry key changes to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\Cu
rentVersion\Run

Didou Didou, Bowtie extraordinair!, said:

A nagging pop-up will probably lead users to uninstall their product & move to something else, I doubt it really increases sales. When I used the paying edition of AVG, at the end of the subscription it would nag me all the time about renewing & all it managed to do was to get me to stop using AVG altogether. That & the fact that with each new update it only got slower.

kimsland, Ex-TechSpotter, said:

Not that I like AVG, but the removal of that Nag screen was posted here: [link]

gadzooks64 said:

I was using Avira for a short period of time but changed to Miscrosoft Essentials partly because of that annoying nag screen. Not sure if I would have stayed with it had I know how to turn it off. So far so good with the MS Essentials.

alexandrionel said:

That was the only thing that bothered me at avira. Now I have Premium for 90 days. It is great. I wish I would have found this when I had freeware version.

You skipped few steps for Vista & Win 7. Took me a min or two to figure out whats next after step 2.

Either way, Thanks for the tip.

lupinnktp said:

This is awesome!!! i have been pissed off with Avira once in a while when it pops up and minimise my game window amid a battle or a gank.. gone are those days now.

It's true that nagscreen is a big turn-off. Company should try to get more customers from the attraction of addons in paid products rather than by nagscreens. more often than not they pop up at the wrong time, creating the unfavorable emotional reactions

If you don't want pops-ups, buy the darn thing! Or get avast.

tw0rld tw0rld said:

gadzooks64 said:

I also have dumped Avira for WSE. So far it is great and very light on resources. I am about to test Its effectiveness in finding infection. I have an old pc that I purposely got infected just for this purpose. Mbam was able to find over 400 infections......now to see if WSE will find as much.

poertner_1274 poertner_1274, secroF laicepS topShceT, said:

I just deal with it. However now that I see this workaround, I believe I will be implementing it!

thewoosterisroot thewoosterisroot said:

I don't mean to be the "just get linux" person . . . but hey, it works. I just run windows in a virtual machine, and rarely use it, so I don't worry much about antivi software.

TBolt said:

Excellent! Thanks Julio!

GACrabill said:

Nice article ... thanks. I am bookmarking this article just in case someone really complains. I really like Avira for older, slower PCs and I convince folks that one nuisance ad per day is worth the free security. Now I have an option if needed.

i use my firewall (online armor) to block the program/file from running.

kimsland, Ex-TechSpotter, said:

Online Armor FREE does not include:

* Antivirus and Antimalware

* Rootkit Scanner

Best to stick with free Avira (without Pop-ups ;))

Edit:

oops I missed you point

Oh I see now. You are saying that your online armor is stopping avnotify.exe

Rig said:

I bet the get a mac fan boys are gloating over the fact we have to do this XD

SoulSeeker said:

Good move to make this a little bit more public.

I always cringe, when I sit at someone elses computer and get all these nag-screens. And when you ask them, why they havent turned them off, they usually look bewildered, like it never occurred to them.

My computer, my rules!

jurrasstoil said:

There is another method for Windows Vista and it can not be disabled by future avira updates, but it only works for Vista Ultimate iirc.

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy

There you can add avnotify.exe and don't allow it to start ever.

A better solution might be Microsoft Security Essentials, especially because it has less false-positives...

Zenphic said:

The pop-up is definitely the only drawback of Avira's free Antivir. With this little tweak though this makes Antivir the best free antivirus out there.

ellulbrian ellulbrian said:

Tks, it works like a charm. It was very annoying and if the PC was mine, I wouldn't even bother to install an AV but it is a PC which is shared at work

Btw, the default path of avnotify.exe in Win Pro (x64) is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe

temao said:

Thank you for sharing this tip. I'm using Avira for some months now and these error messages were very annoying.

Shalimar said:

Once again a nice tip for those using this particular application. However I'm sure the coders and sales staff at Avira won't appreciate it much lol.

AntiMoronic said:

thanks, sure this will help a lot of people.

For crying out loud, don't post articles like these! The reason people have been able disable the nag without Avira acting on the problem, is that a sufficient small portion of the users were taking advantage. We had to dig around forums to find solutions. By bringing the solution (well, kind of a solution, the article actually mentions a method which causes the updater to continually try and re-update avnotify.exe) to news headlines, everyone's going to take a stab. Avira will have no choice but to change their nag program to ensure it runs, else disable avguard.

TBolt said:

So then we'll just have to post the next work around. Sooner or later these companies will get the hint and just stop nagging us.

kimsland, Ex-TechSpotter, said:

Sooner or later these companies will get the hint and just stop nagging us.

I know we shouldn't complain about free stuff

But that's the point. Its free, not free with we are going to tell you to pay every single time you update !

That's free?

Its similar to a new computer with a free Restore included, hmm oh you have to buy the disc (or make an inferior one of your own.

Nothing is just free anymore (without some type complication)

But I don't complain

UglyChild said:

Why not just delete the file????

Yea, switch to avast! Everyone loves an AV that can be shut off remotely!

When I did this, the whole Avira application messed up and I had to use the registry cleaner and reinstall it. Weird.

None of these techniques work on Windows 7 anymore. Avira has apparently found a way to deny permissions to change security settings, or even delete avnotify.exe.

I'm deleting it and installing Macafee, which I get free through my work. Not my favorite, but it doesn't annoy me on a regular basis.

This doesn't work for me. After I deny read and execution, a window asks for confirmation. When I accept, it says "You can't save changes to permission on avnotify. Access denied."

Scarecrow237 Scarecrow237 said:

"Unable to save permission changes on avnotify.exe. Access is denied." appears for me, as well. It looks like Avira figured out a way to prevent us from disabling their pop ups.

I'd stop using avira, but I don't wish to have that kind of vulnerability. Microsoft's Security Essentials IS NOT SECURE I got viruses using that.

I'm just going to have to bug Avira about this