Apple to fight Nokia in patent infringement lawsuit

By Justin Mann on October 28, 2009, 2:00 PM
Settlements and other bargains aren't on the agenda for Cupertino, who have decided to fight Nokia's aggressive move on them in the courts. Apple has released a report to the SEC, in which they made it a point to mention they will be defending themselves "vigorously" in court against Nokia's lawsuits.

The move isn't surprising at all. Nokia bit off quite a bit, and could be seeking a substantial amount of cash from Apple. Nokia is primarily running on the assumption that the patents which other companies license from them apply to the iPhone, though it doesn't take much speculation to assume Nokia's lawsuit is a direct result of slipping sales. Clearly they see Apple as an up and coming threat, and want to at least capitalize on their growth.

Apple also noted this isn't their "official" response -- only that they don't intend to roll over. It remains to be seen how Apple will defend themselves. Given the current state of the smartphone market, this could be an important and interesting case to watch.




User Comments: 15

Got something to say? Post a comment
giorgiodechir said:

oho, time to bring the pain steve jobs. lol go apple!

Zedster said:

It's interesting that companies that may be struggling, start looking for a big company to go after. I think it's more about the exposure for the company rather than the $$ (but the big $$ always helps )

Deso said:

I hope nokia wins, Apple needs a beat down their Iphone has been to succesful lol

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

zedster said:

It's interesting that companies that may be struggling, start looking for a big company to go after. I think it's more about the exposure for the company rather than the $$ (but the big $$ always helps )

I'm not saying this necessarily has anything to do with it, but I think Apple will do anything right now to steal attention away from the release of Windows 7. Which by the way, I can;t help but notice that Microsoft has released many different Windows 7 commercials, touting positive aspects. Whereas Apple has zero commercials about Snow Leopard, but one Negative Windows 7 commercial. I definitely admire a positive ad campaign that replays the same commercial over and over. You may see Windows 7 ads a lot, but at least there are many of them.

BlindObject said:

Meh, I like my HTC. =)

Souljacker Souljacker said:

I like my Nokia. I'd like to see them knock Apple down a few pegs.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

The move isn't surprising at all. Nokia bit off quite a bit, and could be seeking a substantial amount of cash from Apple. Nokia is primarily running on the assumption that the patents which other companies license from them apply to the iPhone, though it doesn't take much speculation to assume Nokia's lawsuit is a direct result of slipping sales. Clearly they see Apple as an up and coming threat, and want to at least capitalize on their growth.

So let me get this straight. Nokia has legitimised licensing deals with other major companies already? Fact 2: Nokia informed Apple they were infringing ON RELEASE of the iPhone. Negotiations for licensing broke down and now Nokia is suing. And YOU are insinuating Nokia is suing as a direct result of slipping sales. I wonder who is biased here?

freedomthinker said:

This is kinda silly , Nokia is one of the strongest companies out there , its holding pretty straight . I agree with Darth Shiv up there , he stated good facts

Guest said:

nokia invented the ***** proof phone and have continued to make reliable and easy to use phones ever since, every one outside of america uses nokia, i know 3 people with an iphone. not so popular outside of america.

Rig said:

Good point Darth Shiv, but Nokia have left it quite a while before they've decided to file a lawsuit if they have already informed Apple of the license infringement when the iPhone was released.

Guest said:

Without knowing ALL of the facts of this case it's impossible to make a fair assessment. However, if some of the comments above are true - and Apple was already informed at the inception of the iPhone and disregarded Nokia's claims anyway - then they should be punished.

Rules only work when they apply to everyone - not just to companies we don't use or like.

(And I'm an iPhone user, 3G and 3GS)

Guest said:

Apple needs to grow up.

paynetrain007 said:

fail apple. Every other company that uses Nokia's technology pays them a premium... Why are you so special?

Guest said:

do you have any evidence that apple is using Nokia's technology, paynetrain, or are you just shitting in a sack and then smearing it on your keyboard?

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Guest said:

do you have any evidence that apple is using Nokia's technology, paynetrain, or are you just shitting in a sack and then smearing it on your keyboard?

The lawsuit will sort that out. Nokia believes Apple does. And the reason Nokia hasn't sued until now is because the two parties were trying to come to a licensing agreement but the talks had only recently broke down.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.