Weekend Open Forum: Your last game purchase

By on November 1, 2009, 6:10 PM
It's no secret that tech enthusiasts enjoy playing video games, and the holiday season typically brings some of the year's greatest titles. A few weeks back we created a list of PC games we're most excited about for the fourth quarter and beyond, and yesterday robortwillys, a recent member of our community opened this similarly themed forum topic that we thought deserved a little more attention.

We ask you to share your most recent game purchase and your opinion of it. You're welcome to share whether or not it was worth the price paid, and your general critique of the said title. The game can be for any platform, though we're undeniably biased toward PC games.

My last game purchase was Left 4 Dead 2, which is still a couple of weeks away from release, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the demo. Discuss.

Deso said:

Last game I purchased was C&C 3, and I've loved every minute of playing it. I do have too say those that the best game from C&C is still Red Alert 2, that game was epic and I frequently find myself wanting to play it again. Next game I'm planning to buy is probably the next Half-Life 2 title or the next Dead Space title.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I almost never buy games, and I think the only game I have ever bought myself was Star Wars Battlefront II, probably 5 or 6 years ago. I'm really out of it as far as current games are concerned.

pomonasi said:

without considering Steam purchases, last game i have bought at a store with a retail packaging would be Diablo 2 & LOD. Just loved the play of the game with a variety of characters and items. Recently, I went back to play some more and it was still playable with quite a bit of others still on Battle.net playing the game. Which brings me to say: Starcraft must have THE longest playability with thousands of people still playing the d*mn thing online. pretty impressive for a game that was out 11 years ago...

InsaneVr6 said:

The last game I bought was Prototype. Great game but it ran kinda slow on my hardware (9500GT with pentium dual core 2.0gz). None the less it wasn't where I couldn't play the game, just had to make sure it was the only thing running haha.

My next purchase will be COD: Modern Warfare 2, but that will be for 360. Can't wait!!

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

The last game I bought for PC was Killing floor for $20. I def feel I got more than my money's worth out of the game. It's not hard to run and is very addictive. The devs of killing floor support for the game is beyond amazing, they are always releasing patches and fixes. Aren't zombie games just plain fun?

Cueto_99 said:

Well... being a soccer fan, my last purchase was FIFA 09... That was like 6 months ago... but my next buy will surely be Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2... Those are the kind of games you never stop playing

The last game I've bought was Rainbow Six: Vegas.

buttus said:

My last game purchase was the Orange Box from Valve, I purchased it mainly for access to TF2 but generally speaking as a "value" I have been most impressed by the overall value of the Orange Box with Episodes 1 and 2 or Half life 2 as well as TF2 and portal.

lfrakes2 said:

That would be Call of Duty - Hells Highway. It is still sitting on my shelf waiting for me to upgrade my graphics card or get a new PC whichever comes first.

TBolt said:

Heh...the last game I bought, just a few weeks ago, was through Steam...for 5 bucks...

Dark Forces

What a trip. I didn't realize just how ugly that game was :P I originally purchased the game many...many moons ago, lost the disk along the way. Still was kind of fun to play again.

Whiffen Whiffen said:

The last game I purchased was also Left 4 Dead 2. After 10+ great months of L4D I can't wait for more. Still playing L4D to this day daily with a friend, and its still very fun. Demo has shown some nice improvements on this and after knowing all there is to be had in the sequel I can't wait!

Captain828 Captain828 said:

My last purchase was ArmA 2 from Steam.

Clrabbit said:

Sacred 2

Best HnS EVER! "if your PC can handle it."

I've had no good reason to buy any thing sense S2 it's a pretty sweet time sink, and good multi-player. The Sacred series has always improved on every thing Diablo offers.

My next game buy will be FFXIV and likely the last game I buy for a long time. Unless Capcom gets out of there lazy MegaMan phase and puts out a new Legends game, Or SEGA realizes why PSO rocked and PSU sucks, and decides to make a decent game.

Wait,... No that's not true I was going to pick up Dragon Age Origins, and check it out, that'll likely be the last game I bother with before FFXIV.

Puiu Puiu said:

My last purchase was The Orange Box from Steam. It had a nice price cut and i couldn't resist buying it. Unfortunately I need to wait a bit more before buying newer games because i need a new computer first that is able to play them.

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

I've actually heard a lot of good things about this game. They changed a variety of things in ways that I thought were pretty neat. Changing panic events to one where you have to reach something to make it stop was one good thing I noted. The arc of the melee weapons was also very nice. Being able to chop several zombies in half with a Katana with a single swing is a very satisfying experience. They even found a way to 1) make a daylight zombie game work and 2) make the hunter's scream even more blood curdling.

If I can find the money for this game, I'll be buying it for certain. Perhaps a good Christmas idea?

WinXPert WinXPert said:

Last game i bought was FFVIII for the PC.

guyver1 said:

Killing Floor with all the DLC content.

Absolutely brilliant game! If L4D is a Hollywood blockbuster, then Killing Floor is the gritty British independent studio horror film that takes the box office by storm. If l4D is 'I am Legend' , then Killing Floor is '28 Days Later'.

The gameplay is tighter, harder and alot more tactical than L4D, the ironsight gameplay mechanic while off putting at first becomes much more addictive as you play more and draws you into the game to a much deeper level than the typical cross hair fps scenario. It also causes you to panic more when you reload!!

The sound is fantastic, the speech is just awesome "I'm trying to heal you not shag you!" "50 cal fun time!"

The gameplay is very different from L4D, with the 'wave' format and trader you basically have 2 choices, fight at the position of your last trader and then run like hell to the next trader location, or try and fight your way to the next trader location during the oncomming wave, neither are bulletproof and splitting up in this game can get you killed..... quickly.

The boss zombies have a few similarities to some of the L4D bosses, only 2 really stand out, the 'Bloat' (Boomer) and the witch screamer type(cant remember name), the chainsaw guy you really should stay away from unless you have a REALLY powerful gun and some distance!

I can thoroughly recommend KF if you've played L4D to death and are looking for some alternative zombie action, or if your not too impressed with L4D gameplay and are looking for something grittier and harder and more tactical. Go for Killing Floor.

I also pre-purchased L4D2 around about the same time.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The last game I bought was The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, and it was definitely worth is. I remember the original fondly, but the graphics really suck by today's standard. The special edition made it look good, so I got all the nostalgia without the the usual baggage of realising how things looked so much worse back then. Pity the interface is somewhat worse than it was. I think that's part of what killed adventure games -- at least for me it did. The interface just got worse and worse. When Guybrush had to be controlled in 3D and got stuck on some pixels and Monkey Island 4 with no way for me to get him out, that was when I realised I no longer wanted to play these games.

The game I'm playing now but didn't pay for is D&D Online. It's free to play, and I'm quite enjoying it. Since I dropped to playing maybe an hour or two a week, I don't want to pay for a subscription to an MMO. DDO looks and feels like a AAA game, unlike most free to play games.

gamingmage said:

Modern Warfare 2!!!!! I can't wait until it finally releases and I can play on my new 26" screen!!!!

mvb2303 said:

I will stick to Mario and Luigi.... I don't like this shootinggames....

But he thats me.

kaonis92 said:

My most recent game purchase was Resident Evil 5 (for 35 euros via Steam) and I have to say that it's totally worth its pricetag. I'm looking forward the release of L4D2 though!

MBK MBK said:

Last game I purchased was X3:Terran Conflict on steam. I had just dropped out of my 4th year at Uni (due to medical reasons, am now resitting) and had some time to kill. I got stupidly addicted to this game, the learning curve is immense, but so are the graphics and the universe you are thrust into.

However, i didn't actually get to experience the great visuals for long as my 2.4GHz dual core, ATI x1950XT and 2Gb RAM just couldn't haul the load this game was piling on. Even with every adjustable setting at its lowest, my computer couldn't take some of the larger battles.

Regardless of the lag, I muscled on and ended up forgetting about it. From the time I started, sitting in Terran space in my single interceptor to the point where my fleet of destroyers and carriers was devestating the universe I had endless fun.

I didn't just focus on combat, I purchased massive trade ships who would move from factory to factory within a sector (to begin with) buying and selling goods for profit, eventually, they levelled up to the point where they would journey across the entire universe, buying and selling. These guys, in combination with MY network of factories, meant that I had a good steady income and could construct my own ship components (shields etc).

I suppose for an average joe, the main problem with the game would be the terrible story line and terrible voice acting. I'm not sure, maybe the story would have been better had I played previous X games, but that's just not good enough imo. Having said that, the game isn't about the story, it's a massive sandbox universe, which is kind of where I think the problem may lie for some. I personally had a guide beside me for the first 3-4 hours of play so I figure out how to do...umm...anything!

£25 well spent....though I felt pretty peeved when the next weekend Steam put it on deal for £10!

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Most recent game was Portal, enjoyed it but a bit too short IMO

Most recent retail game was Crysis Warhead, really liked that one

I also bought a copy of Deus Ex last year, because a "friend" who borrowed my copy "forgot" to return it (Deus Ex is best game of all time IMO!)

My next purchase will probably be Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

Oh, I did buy the new expansion to WoW too, but I don't count that as a game, more as an addiction :P

Thankfully have been WoW free for over 6 months now

Ithryl said:

Burnout Paradise - absolutely worth the penny. Right now I'm waiting for preordered Dragon Age CE, can't wait!

FoReWoRd said:

ummm i got myself need for speed shift PC and it's great, My Audi RS5 is really Kicking Ass

ken777 said:

Last game was Battlestations Pacific. It's a nice change of pace from the usual mix of games. You can manage your units at a more strategic level from a map, but can also jump to and take control of any specific unit. You get play air units like fighters, bombers, and torpedo planes or naval units like subs, carriers, destroyers, crusiers, and battleships. Nothing like seeing some good old-fashioned ship-on-ship battles. Plus it was only $5

jurrasstoil said:

For those (like me) who are wondering what game the screenshot is from: it's COD:MW2.

My last game purchase was NFS:Shift and i didn't regret it. The excellent Cockpit perspective was a huge boost to the racing experience.

Recently I have purchased Borderlands for 360 and I still have many more games on the way. I am getting a Prestige Edition Modern Warfare 2 for 360, hardened for 360 for my brother and also another copy for my PC. (Which I hope is 360 controller compatible) After this I will be getting Left 4 Dead 2 and Assassins Creed 2 for 360. I love video games and I like having a wife that doesn't mind. I don't see myself slowing down in the near future and I am probably going to have a great year with plenty keeping me busy.

Catch me on LIVE

JACKAL2687

aestarvirus said:

hmmm... i think the last game i purchase when i was still in philippines was that ever famous dota allstar... i bought it for my younger brother's birthday and at the same day, he installed it on his pc and play the whole night!

i'm not an avid fan of pc games but this game seems very interesting. i gave a try couple of times and i always crave for more!... especially when there's a new hero in the net... i would even search for it's skills...

but here in china... mostly are using garena site to play dota. and i was shocked to know that they have their own "chinese version" of this game...all in chinese characters!

InsaneVr6 said:

Yeah I got Need for Speed: Shift too. It really is a terrible game on the computer unless you have a joystick or steering wheel setup. The one time my G15 failed me. I have an R32 =).

r3claimer r3claimer said:

The last game I bought was Fallout 3, and it was fun, but it felt like somewhat of a ripoff for $60 (Had to buy it for 360 because my computer is old and decrepit) The last game I played was Elder Scrolls DaggerFall. Free on Bethesda's website. A little tweaking of the controls and you're good to go.

aceofspaids222 said:

The last game I bought was Borderlands (xbox 360). Its a great game, possibly one of my favorites of all time.

Eddie_42 Eddie_42 said:

my last purchase was assassin's creed from the $5 sale on steam...very worth the $5.

treeski treeski said:

Last game I bought was Dawn of War 2. Been playing it on and off and it's been a lot of fun. They released released a new game type, and I think the expansion is coming out soon.

Definitely worth the price, since I bought it on one of the Steam discount weekends - $20.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My last game purchase was the Wrath of The Lich King expansion for WoW a couple weeks ago. I'm extremely addicted. As far as console games are concerned, I purchased GRID for PS3 3 weeks ago. I'm very impressed with the graphics, playability, and the dynamics of the game.

I've purchased three games worth talking about this year via Steam. The first was Empire:Total War which, when released, was not quite ready for prime time as you couldn't finish a campaign game. There were some other annoying bugs that should have never made it to a release version but most of these have been substantially addressed and it is now a pretty decent game. I still wish they could get it to true multiplayer that would include the strategic elements. At the moment you can only undertake tactical battles with a remote opponent. (3 stars)

The second game that I spend a lot of time with is Darkest Hour which the Western Front expansion for Red Orchestra. Terrific game. Think you're a hot-shot FPS guy? Come online and try Red Orchestra or Darkest Hour. This multiplayer attracts players from all over the place. You haven't experienced WWII gaming until you've heard your team chattering away in real Russian and/or German through the headset while you're trying to gain an objective. (4.5 stars)

The third and most novel gaming experience I've had in years came from Fallout 3. If anyone had told me how engaging it would become before I bought it I would have said, "Psshaw!". Actually I've never said that in my life but let's just say I would have appeared to an observer as highly skeptical. Fallout 3 is the best game I've played in ages. A genre buster. (5 beeg stars)

KG363 KG363 said:

Ive bought COD4, S.T.A.L.K.E.R shadow of Chernobyl, and TF2 in the last couple of days

lynxon said:

The last thing I bought was the Indie Gaming Pack from Steam a while back, with Audiosurf/Braid/Darwinia/Gish/World of Goo/Everyday Shooter/Etc. Holy crap, that was SUCH a great deal! IIRC I only paid like $30 for it all, and most of the games (specifically the ones mentioned) were just plain awesome, especially Audiosurf and World of Goo.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'm as big a computer gaming enthusiast as there is - it's a huge part of my personal recreation. I'm also currently single (my gaming probably has something to do with that ) and make OK bling-bling so have decent spending money.

Lately, I've been on a game-buying frenzy with the D2D $5 sale and all the recent Steam discount offerings. My most recent purchases are pre-orders for L4D2, Dragon Age rigins and last night I picked up Dead Space that's on sale at D2D.

And HAPPY HALLOWEEN TechSpot!

danteoz said:

Last game I got was AION CE. Fun and quite different from some other games. Don't really like the idea of pay to play, I may give it up soon. It is fun though.

Souljacker Souljacker said:

I had Modern Warfare on preorde, but I've cancelled it since I heard the news that all serves will be run by them. Last games I bought were Company of Heroes anthology and Operation Flashpoint 2.

ron5334 said:

Last game i purchased was Dawn Of War: Soulstorm. Really cool RTS game based on the Warhammer 40k universe. Soulstorm is actually the 4th game in the series and added 2 new armies to the collection.

If you've never played it before there are demos available [its how i got hooked].

Other than that, City of Heroes: Architect Edition.

Yep, I'm an MMO Player too.

DarKSeeD DarKSeeD said:

Shattered Horizon from Futuremark, if the wire transfer goes well....

NightAngel79 said:

Prototype!!!!! Excellent open world game, got mine for the 360 and cant stop playing it!! 9/10

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

The last game I purchased was Halo 3 DST. Even though it is just an expansion, I believe it is a good value because you get every map released for Halo 3, a campaign and a completely separate multiplayer mode. While the campaign was short, it was a good length for an expansion, and I thoroughly enjoyed the story and presentation.

Graphics are the best they have been in Halo, although they never have been able to do human faces too well...I really enjoyed the Gameplay enhancements, including the revamped HUD, and I'd say the mechanics are much better than in Halo 3. I wish the Firefight mode (Horde equivalent) had more customization to it. I would love to have enough control that I could fight one hundred grunts unarmed, and then a bunch of Hunters.

But sadly it's contained to predefined waves of enemies, and an ordered skull schedule. the waves will also continue until you die, so the best you can come to "beating it" is to unlock the achievement for gaining 200,000 pts on each map. Overall I'd give it a 9/10, and I am very much looking forward to Halo Reach (prequel to Halo 1, with many Spartans) If anyone plays on xbox live feel free to add me Mr Panucci

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I'm going to buy Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 soon, but my last game purchase was actually Super Mario World for SNES. Just got it in the mail yesterday.

BlindObject said:

Forza 3, cause it's the best racing game EVER. =D

pcnthuziast said:

Most recently I bought Uncharted 2 for the PS3. Awesome game with a superb story, compelling characters and amazing gfx and physics relative to the hardware! Before that I picked up Arkham Asylum for the PC. Deffinately the best comic book hero game EVER!!!

JieMan JieMan said:

Most recently I purchased Prototype , Velvet assassin , CC red alert 3, I took advantage of the madness sale at gogamer.com .. woot .

My most recent played is Wolfenstien -- still in progress , I like the game and abilities it brings , but as I find with any console port the graphics are lacking .. not too bad tho , I found the game refreshing as a FPS .

anonemus said:

Last game I purchased was SIMS3 for the wife, son and myself. We enjoyed playing it individually! Last FPS I bought was FarCry2. Even with my aging 7900GS, it still played well (DX9, 14x9 19" LCD)