VIA intros Nano 3000 Series processors

By on November 3, 2009, 11:04 AM
VIA has announced its new Nano 3000 Series processors, which are said to offer enhanced digital media performance and less power consumption for ultrathin notebooks and all-in-one desktops. The new line brings strong competition to Intel's Atom CPU, and consists of six 64-bit Isaiah-based chips.

VIA's Nano 3000 processors are clocked between 1GHz and 2GHz with an 800MHz FSB, and feature SSE4 instructions, hardware virtualization, and Windows 7 and Linux compatibility. Along with being 20% more power efficient than current-gen Nano processors, they are also said to be capable of delivering 20% more performance, and are able to play 1080p video.

The latest Nano chips use the same NanoBGA2 package, which should allow hardware vendors to easily upgrade existing systems. Samples are currently available for OEMs and motherboard vendors, and mass production will begin in the first quarter of next year.
Product Name Speed VIA V4 FSB Idle Power
L3100 2.0GHz 800MHz 500mW
L3050 1.8GHz 800MHz 500mW
U3200 1.4GHz 800MHz 100mW
U3100 1.3+GHz 800MHz 100mW
U3300 1.2GHz 800MHz 100mW
U3500 1.0GHz 800MHz 100mW

elroacho72 said:

That's pretty cool capabilities for little chip. I don't know much about the whole Nano thing but starting to really see the potential. In your words what is Nano technology?Looking forward to reading comments hear.Thanks

BlindObject said:

How big are these things anyway?

poundsmack said:

"How big are these things anyway?"

Ever see the movie Independence Day? These chips are about that size, you know, just large enough to settle over a major city and cover the majority of it. ...

....

........

Anyways, these are small chips, the size of Intels Atom (though I don't know if the 3000 series is on the 40 or 45nm process).

njel said:

It is all good for the customers. The prices of all those netbooks are going to go downnnnnnnn.

Maybe the good time to buy a gift for Christmas...

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

The Nano 3000 is built on a 65nm process, unless I'm mistaken. Here: [link]

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well I can't say I'm happy enough with this news, more powerfull, battery friendly and yet cheaper netbooks are coming to meet customers requirements.

I have had gen 1 and 3 netbooks, and hoping this will get better and better because of the usefulness they have and all the capabilities they offer to us the users.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

let's see, higher clock speed than the atom, 64 bit and virtualization? If there is a 2GHz dual core I'll consider it. Even if there isn't I find it interesting. Shouldn't be too hard to beat the Atom : P

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm hoping VIA will have some design wins with this. I'm tired of seeing Atom in all netbooks, and if this performs better I won't mind if it takes a little more power (which I assume it will). The question is whether VIA can also provide a decent chipset to go with that.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

these are impressive chips indeed, its nice to see, at last intel has some competition so we can finally see those atom chips start to do more than what they are currently doing (nothing) and i already thought what these anos could be used for, it does virtualization for windows xp mode in 7 and 64bit for over 3.5GB of RAM! now if they made a duel core version of the 2ghz variety, think about the possiblity's! a netbook with a 2ghz dule core, 8GB of ram! i look forward to what intel has against these, although i am worried company's like Dell won't buy them, even though Dell are relatively rubbish with cheap laptops and desktops, I have one of there netbooks and they are pretty good,

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Don't get too excited, I've been saying that I'd like to see more netbooks with Nanos in them for a long time now. And its been known for a long time that the Nano is superior in lots of ways. I tried to find one of the reviews I looked at a long time ago, couldn't find the exact one I remember reading, but here is one from July 2008: [link]

So my point is, Via has had a superior product for over a year, and has made no gains in the marketplace. That implies that Intel has probably written into HP, Asus, Lenovo, Acer, whoever else makes netbooks that they can't produce ones with the Nano.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I don't think there is a deal like that, that would be monopolizing it and there are laws against that. Maybe the gains of power v/s battery consumtion and price aren't that great to compete with atom?

Also... who buys a netbook looking for power? If you actually do that you are not well focused to what they do and mean.

It's like buying a smartphone to replace a computer, it's just not meant for it.

Clrabbit said:

I just wished they would make a full desktop CPU aimed at people who build there own computers. I'd love to put a couple of them in a Linux server.

kodrutz kodrutz said:

You're right, kibaruk, but in some cases... you'd wish your smartphone or notebook to be as capable as possible, so if the Nano 3000 is going to offer a lot for the buck, why not? Sure, you won't need 1080p on a netbook, but why not have the chance to connect it to a HD screen and watch fullHD movies?

PUTALE said:

i like hte fact via is still trying. Althought I think they do need more publicity and get their products out so that they can make some news.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Awesome now make your products more commercially available so I can actually buy one.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I know Clrabbit, the better they come the better for us consumers, but I was replying for a couple of posts back there to the one asking for the dual-core 2ghz for netbooks haha.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

1080p on a netbook sounds unessesary, I really thought peopleonly bought netbooks for one reason...the net, but I mean if it gives better performance thats great I just hope prices stay fair.

Timonius Timonius said:

LOL! I didn't know there was another company besides amd and intel!

MBK MBK said:

Like has been said, although Intel still seem to be the market leaders, this will hopefully give Via a nice little boost. Alright, the average consumer might not care about the power of their laptop, just the shinyness, but as far as I can tell, laptop retailers should love being able to say "More power for less money" or some equally droll marketing message.

So as long as Intel arn't performing another market fixing strategy and Via manage to increase their legit marketing somewhat, this should be a nice addition to the notebook scene.

Shalimar said:

It'll be nice to have the Inhell behemoth see some competition once again besides AMD. With Vis giving up on the chipset arena overall maybe they can redeem themselves with a new low poer cpu actually worth the time to look at. However I won't hold my breath for such.

Deso said:

Are they available in several cores or is it just one?, I hope they start making cpu's in the desktop market too, I still think 200-300 bucks for a quad core is wayy to much.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

There are plenty of sub-$200 and even a few sub-$100 quad-core processors out there: [link]

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I'm very curious to see how well this chip does in the market. It would be nice to see a mainstream chip from Via do well and become commonplace in the processor market. I guess that's just the capitalist in me.

In my experience with the atom series, I'd describe them as anaemic at best. I'm really looking forward to these offerings from VIA and the CortexA9 from ARM.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Can run Win 7, explore, msn, watch divx or even h264 without flickering, use programming tools such as netbeans, and so on. So I would like to know what anaemic at best means for you, maybe gaming? or video editing? NETbook, the name says it all why can't people understand it.

SinOfDeath said:

So hold on, im confused whats better, more GHz or less?

zaidpirwani said:

I just wonder if it is anything like Atom, as atom was a complete waste of my money....

freedomthinker said:

This seems like an excellent replacement to the Atom chips , they are getting annoying actually ;/ . But these chips seem to have plenty of power Look forward for updated and reviews !

freedomthinker said:

Puiu Puiu said:

i really wonder if it's really able to play 1080p. 720 maybe but 1080p is a bit too much for an netbook.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

More competition is always good, it means cheaper prices for us consumers. I think VIA should spend some more on marketing though, I doubt most people will know that there are other CPUs besides Intel and AMD.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

"I'm really looking forward to these offerings from VIA and the CortexA9 from ARM."

Why bundle ARM here? I'm quite sure ARM will be "anemic", as well as not compatible with Windows or its software, which will make these "smartbooks" quite limited. Given a very low price they might find a place in the market, but I can't say I'm really excited about them.

@Kibaruk "NETbook, the name says it all why can't people understand it."

What exactly does that mean. Does watching movies and using Netbeans somehow falls under "net" while gaming and video editing doesn't? Who defines this then?

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sorry, that was a bit snarky (and I have no way to edit that).

The point is that "netbook" is a press coined term for a certain class of notebooks. People always try to put things into neat compartments, and it doesn't always work well. That's why you get lots of people saying that netbooks will die. Sure, if you define a netbook as having very specific hardware, then they're right. The PC market is always moving forward and in a couple of years a low cost, small notebooks will likely have dual core CPU's, DX10 or better graphics and 4GB or more of RAM. And then people who care about semantics will fight over whether they are netbooks, and whether netbooks exist any more, but they'll still occupy the same market position.

So if anyone can help bring "netbooks" which can do more things thanks to a faster CPU, or better graphics, or whatever, and keep the low price and light weight, then I'm all for it, and I don't much care if some people will think they're not "netbooks" any longer.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Puiu said:

First of all, that's something I always wondered: does anyone really use 1080p on a netbook? I can understand a nettop that's hooked to a TV, and whose primary use is video, but a netbook? At the high end they have a 720p resolution, but at the low end not even that, and I find it harder to imagine them being hooked to a TV.

As for the Nano playing 1080p, from what I understand (from reading other sites), that's part of the functionality of the chipset, not just the processor. Together they can decode 1080p, like NVIDIA ION + a fast Atom can.

psycholexx said:

VIA actually is a specialist regarding low power and embedded computing, making a low power solution for portable low power computing shouldn't be so hard for them, and this new CPU line should stir up the competition on netbook market. These CPU will be aided by some Unichrome graphic chipsets which are rather good at video decoding, competing as an equal with AMD/ATI and Nvidia. The gameplay will be poor, but nobody buys an netbook to play Fallout 3 on it...

Lets see how big will be the adoption of the new CPU line on the market as is a known fact that Intel has a rather aggressive marketing, trying to put a stop on anything that could affect their sales.

(same guest poster from earlier) @kibaruk

Very true, but when manufacturers take the atom and place them in small desktop systems, one's expectations go a little beyond netbooks. This is where they fall desperately short on desktop responsiveness, but then, it would really be poor hardware profiling on the manufacturer's part. I am still not a fan of the part, an will wait for something better from ARM or VIA.

@ET3D

Not trying to get flamed, I do use windows, but my primary system is a Linux distro, so I think that specifically a CortexA9 smartbook could be a very nice experience.

Regenweald said:

So hold on, im confused whats better, more GHz or less?

Thanks to the processor wars, people have been convinced that banging out more clock cycles is the measure of a processor, but if you design an efficient processor and instruction set. Ghz becomes a secondary matter.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

720p is more than enough for a netbook, I download and play movies in 720p on my 40in LCD and it looks great. I'm guessing the 1080p label is just to make it sound cool and so they can slap a "Full HD" logo on it.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@Kibaruk "NETbook, the name says it all why can't people understand it."

I was stating what atom actually does to one of the posters.

A netbook is a NETbook, to stay connected, be able to surf the NET, that is the main purpose of it and that is why it is so small and have lots of connectivity gadgets like 3g, wifi, bluetooth. If you want more functionability you just get a power notebook, with dual or quad core, excesive ram and a nice non-integrated video card.

That is why new netbooks that are comming have even lower clocked cores (Atom Z520), to gain battery life over procesing power.

I mean... come on, who buys a 7" screen netbook to play games or edit video? There is a reason why 17" notebooks are there...

RickD said:

xclusiveitalian said:

We often put our 6 year old in front of our netbook to watch a video on Netflix. Playing DVDs was one of our criteria when we evaluated netbooks.

fref said:

Does anyone knows how this compares to Intel's Atom? Could be nice to see some competition in the netbook segment.

fadownjoo said:

wow these look sick, cant wait till they r in netbooks.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

From my post way up in the thread:

Ju1iet said:

I hope nVidia will support Nano CPUs with their ION platform as well as those Atoms. Then there will be a good competitor against Atom.

Though Intel doesn't support ION technology, it greatly increases the netbook's capabilities. Now they are working on hardware acceleration of HD Flash videos. I want to buy an ION for just this bit of feature.

I've got a question: Does ION platform support Intel SpeedStep? Or does the CPU always work at its highest clock?.I read that Intel doesn't give rights to 3rd companies to imply SpeedStep technology to their northbridge chips.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Kibaruk said:

I was stating what atom actually does to one of the posters.

But that just proves that you're not using it for net only. And movie playback is getting a lot of attention on netbooks, and it's not a net thing. Sure, using the net is a major part of using netbooks, but it's also a major part of using power notebooks, or desktops, or pretty much any PC. I use the net a lot more on my home PC than I game, but that doesn't mean I want a PC that can't run games.

Why do people like you get hung on the name? I'm sure most people do non-net things on their netbook, be that writing documents or listening to music. If their netbooks were able to play games, they would have. In fact, I'm sure a lot of them are also playing flash games and maybe even Solitaire. So why shouldn't they play their favourite MMO (an obvious "net" activity) on their netbook? It's a completely illogical distinction.