Tech Tip of the Week: Unearth Region-Specific Windows 7 Themes

By on November 19, 2009, 11:20 PM
Microsoft stepped up its game in more ways than one with the advent of Windows 7. The graphical user interface, for example, looks and functions better in than previous releases and is easy to customize. Without digging deep, even inexperienced users coming from Windows XP and Vista can see that Microsoft really attempted to bring a degree of style to its latest and greatest operating system.

Windows 7 ships with several unique themes and desktop backgrounds, ranging from the traditional scenic landscapes to creepy character art. In all, though, there are only about 13 accessible themes, which can't really cover the broad spectrum of individual taste. While it's a breeze to tweak themes to something you like, having more stock configurations to choose from certainly wouldn't hurt, right?

As you may have noticed, at least one of the bundled themes is region-specific. This is determined during the installation or setup process when you select your location, which means that there are many more themes lurking on your hard drive. Finding and using these hidden theme packs is very simple.

Read our Tech Tip of the Week.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I remember having plus on my windows 95 computer, it didn't do much, but with new iconpacks and windows border styles really made working in the computer more enjoyable.

I remember running plus on osr2. I also had Plus on windows 98. I think Xp also had some Digital media add on , I had some game trials on it.Pinball,etc. Ritesh Nair

mailpup mailpup said:

Plus! came with an old Dell XP machine I bought years ago and I actually bought Plus! for my first build in which I installed XP.

I just tested this out on my work machine, but it only found Australia, Canada, United Kingdom and South Africa in the results? Is this because I'm running the Windows 7 Enterprise version? no biggie as you can still get then for free off the MS site....

I still have the 95plus add on pack CD :D

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Hah, I used to have Plus! for 95 on diskettes! (5 in total)

OSR2 ... wow haven't heard that for such a long time! 95 / 98 weren't complete without Plus!

The Plus pack also had the first version of Windows' Task Scheduler - not that anyone used it.

My memory with Plus was the slowness of the PC.

i miss pinball from xp in windows 7... and i can always remember that inside your pc theme. that screen saver drove everyone nuts.