Razer intros Imperator gaming mouse with adjustable side buttons

By on November 24, 2009, 7:00 PM
Razer introduced its latest gaming mouse today, the Imperator. The new mouse is designed for right-handed use, and along with its ergonomic form factor it boasts a contoured, adjustable thumb grip. By allowing gamers to reposition the side buttons, the mouse can cater to various palm sizes and grip styles. This is achieved by placing the buttons on a sliding mechanism, which can move forward and backward.

Most of the other technical specifications seem to be in line with Razer's other gaming mice. It features a 5600dpi Razer Precision 3.5G laser sensor, a 1ms response time, up to 200 inches per second/50g acceleration, on-board memory, seven programmable buttons, on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment, and zero-acoustic Teflon feet.

In millimeters, the Razer Imperator measures 123(L) x 71(W) x 42(H), and it attaches via USB. You can currently purchase the Imperator through Razer's website for $79.99. Click through to watch brief promo video of the Imperator.

Deso said:

Damn that mouse seams awesome ;p

Time to replace my Logitech G5 !!

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm thinking, time to retire my original diamondback, I've only had it for... since it came out, so a while. The adjustable side buttons really aren't that adjustable, they slide back and forth about a centimeter but maybe thats enough to make a difference. 5600dpi is just ridiculous but when your going for the most hyper responsive mouse and the market why do anything less.

Fragrant Coit Fragrant Coit said:

The southpaw version is available at the Leftorium in Springfield. Ask for Ned.

Tehoste Tehoste said:

Damn, my lachesis is now obsolete.. 5600dpi what can that possibly be used for? 4000 is more than enough for me.

Serag said:

Pretty well done Ad, mouse itself looks pretty good tho I don't think I'd use the "Adjustable thumb grip" anyway,

@Adhmuz thanks for the mini-review

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

5600dpi? That's nuts. But...the ad is interesting and the mouse certainly looks pretty damn functional.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

wow now this is a mouse i will probably upgrade my current razor mouse to 5600 dpi is sick ill be buying this for my gaming rig.

lfg18 said:

Wow that mouse seem to be very good, I have a logitech revolution but sometimes it is uncomfortable to play with it, and as it weas not a gaming mouse sometimes it lounched applications when it was not intendet to, jaja maybe it's time to get a new one

kuyper said:

As usual, Ned's store is closed. Dang, us lefties are out in the cold again.

I really did try and use a Razer right handed once before, but I just don't have the dexterity.

LazyNinja said:

I have the Razer DeathAdder and it is a really good mouse. Looks and feels great! The Imperator looks great too, but I think it's getting a little too complicated for me. :P

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

@LazyNinja: What about it is getting too complicated exactly? The sliding thumb grip?

jtickner1 jtickner1, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Looks nice but I would love to see vertical side buttons on a Razer mouse, SideWinder X8 style. If they were to do this I'd probably swap over to the Razer side of life.

saintbodhisatva said:

Ive never tried any of these more sophisticated mice, do they really make things more convenient? And there just seems to be so many (or too many?) models to choose from now.

Nirkon said:

I never had a gaming mouse in my life, and im a gamer! but i think

its too much money to spend on a mouse anyway.. i'd rather spend it on my GPU or CPU

Puiu Puiu said:

80$ is way too much for a mouse even if it's so sophisticated. I don't want to be afraid to break it when i use it.

Do so many buttons really help on a mouse?

BlindObject said:

Whoa, that insane dpi is kinda scary. I think my Logitech G5 still has plenty of life left in it, to think of it, I think will buy a nother G5 just because I love it so much and it fits my hand so perfectly. And the little weights, on the fly DPI settings are extra sweetness.

Ithryl said:

I never liked the feel of Razer in my hand. Guess I'm just too used to G5. This one looks pretty neat though.

Razerblade said:

I only just bought a Razer Deathadder mouse which i must say is totally awesome! I would gladly recommend any of the Razer mice as they are built with quality and they are so responsive! This one looks brilliant, but i think 3500DPI is enough for me! I like the idea of the movable buttons though!

flukeh said:

I've got a logitech VX something or rather, cost me $25 down at msy, and it has all i'll ever need in a general/gaming mouse, i can't see the need for anything more then it, i've tried gaming mice, and they just seem like a bit of a gimmick to me.

yorro said:

It doesn't have one of those customizable weight feature that I love.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This seems to be a bit of a gimmick to me, something maybe to boast to your geeky friends about... I mean can someone honestly say that they need 5600dpi in a game?

harby said:

I'm concerned with such mice that offer adjustable buttons and whatnot (like this or Habu). I mean, I really abuse my electronics so build quality is a top priority for me. And I think this applies to the majority of gamers out there.

drasho said:

i boutgh a razer death adder last year and the side button broke. I wonder if this sliding button could brake easily... Except for this problem, the death adder is the best mouse i ever bought =)

BlackIrish said:

Tehoste said:

Same here dude - but I'm not gonna be upgrading until something more worthy comes, like 8 or 10.000 DPI

kimboy said:

What's all thcraze about DPI? I use a mouse that's just been labelled "SONY", nothing else, how do you check how many DPI it has? Regardless of this, I've completed lots of games using this mouse, games like Call Of Duty 4, Left 4 Dead, Prince Of Persia (all of them), F.E.A.R 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow Of Chenobyl... The list is endless... The price was around $4. I bet I can complete even the most complex games on this Razor mouse in one go...

kimboy said:

What's all the craze about DPI? I use a mouse that's just been labelled "SONY", nothing else, how do you check how many DPI it has? Regardless of this, I've completed lots of games using this mouse, games like Call Of Duty 4, Left 4 Dead, Prince Of Persia (all of them), F.E.A.R 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow Of Chenobyl... The list is endless... The price was around $4. I bet I can complete even the most complex games on this Razor mouse in one go...

yangly18 yangly18 said:

A couple people mentioned the logitec g5, which is what I also have. I think I'll stick with it until it dies, just because it actually does fit my hand quite well. plus it has all thoes great programmable buttons, what's not to love? This new mouse does look sick, don't get me wrong, just not quite enough of a reason for me to get it.

swilllx2p said:

I use a logitech mx revolution, I'm gonna have to check and see what the dpi is on it as i'm curious now. This mouse does look really cool, I am curious though anyone with experience on this, does jumping up to a mouse with alot more dpi really make a difference in your gaming? I'd love to hear from a Tech Spot person on this as I know they've tested tons of mice.

flameclipse said:

Razer's my favourite mouse makers. The Imperator reminds me my DeathAdder but with better 3.5G laser sensor. Also I like the new look of the wheel.

deadmongol deadmongol said:

whoa this mouse is tasy, whats the thumb grip for? anyway, 5600 dpi? now thats precision.. what are they trying to do increasing it's precision to 5600 dpi? i just dont get it.. and damn thats a luxury mouse.. there are other pretty good mouses there that are cheap and functional too.. but this ones not bad either, but for the price not buying it..

jazboy said:

damn . this mouse is good.. does anyone has idea what the price is ? If its too costly, i will wait rather buying now.

Docnoq said:

Aside from the 2100 DPI difference, how would this mouse compare to the new Deathadder 3.5G? I've been looking for a replacement for my MX510 for awhile, but I just can't seem to ever decide on a mouse. The adjustable thumb buttons do not seem that enticing, but this mouse does offer a ton of DPI.

Docnoq said:

Come to think of it, is Techspot planning on doing another gaming mouse comparison? I noticed the last time one was done was over a year ago, and plenty of new mice have hit the street since then. It would make my new mouse decision much, much easier :-)

KG363 KG363 said:

This mouse looks a little different than Razer's previous mice, but it looks promising. If only i didn't just buy a G5

Razer can make some nice products... by my big complaint. and the reason I don't buy from them.

Do NOT lose any part to any product they have. From there FAQ

Q: Can I request or purchase replacement parts for my Razer product?

A: Razer does not currently supply any replacement parts.

91125198030072065&pid=400000241&pnm=Sales+and+Orde
+Inquiries&seid=400000750&pos=N/A&top=Replacem
nt+Parts&rid=26408

GoranGol GoranGol said:

I am one of those gamers that think success is in skills, not in peripherals. I never gave more than 30$ for mouse. But i must admit that some of the Razor mouses look really nice, but the price is not in my range. Maybe ebay

I don't have nothing against Razor (i type on Razor Lycosa from ebay).

yangly18 yangly18 said:

maby if you're lucky one of us will sell you our old gamin mouse when we get this one xD

xxbigmakxx said:

nice ive been looking to replace my mouse, been using a old ball mouse since G4 broke.

LazyNinja said:

Sliding thumb grips, adjustable weights, 7 buttons, adjustable sensitivity, etc . . . I bought my Death Adder for gaming but I don't need/like all those bells and whistles on the higher end mice like the Imperator. The four buttons I have are more than enough and I rarely ever change the sensitivity.

DarKSeeD DarKSeeD said:

I would gladly replace my good old G3 with that one. I was not impressed by the G9 after a week of testing...

paynetrain007 said:

Mice too expensive!!!

fref said:

The price tag is too much for me, but adjustable button positions certainly is a nice feature. I know that I'd love to move one of the side buttons on my current Logitech MX518 mouse!

levar said:

Man! You have got to be kiddin' me this mouse looks awesome! I regret getting the IKARI from steelseries but I'll live

vangrat said:

No customisable weight feature, too small, and the wheel feels too stiff in my opionon. However this is just my own asthetic tastes, it might be the perfect size for someone else as well as weight.

mizumi said:

@kimboy:

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I think the DPI is more for people who own bigger screens. As small DPI mouse might need to scroll a lot if used on a big screen like 30" or 27" monitors. After switching to my Dell 2408WFP, I can tell that I need to scroll that much more using my old Microsoft mouse. But now using Mamba now. So no such problems anymore. ^^

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

I'm using a G5 mouse too, and I have to say that the DPI, and the number of reports per second make an incredible difference if you're a hardcore FPS player. I find myself constantly having to make a snapping movement to wherever the enemy might be and taking a pop shot. I've gotten much more accurate with these movements after switching from my old laser mouse to the G5.

Razor makes some very nice products. I haven't had the chance to personally test any of them, but if they have any bigger improvements that beat my G5, I might consider buying one of their products. If you're more lackadaisical about playing shooters and stuff like that, then any mouse will do. But for those of you that like pinpoint accuracy, I'd advise getting a high quality gaming mouse like the G5 or this Razor mouse.

gruesomeA said:

Looks like a great mouse, but I don't think I am ready to retire my G7, it's pretty great

lupinnktp said:

nice touch. it's the 2nd one i know that gives you a choice about the side button placement. great buy, imo

jerry53 said:

awesome mouse i would have bought it without a whimper if it was wireless and the price is a little high

AbsolutGaloot said:

I love razer, I finally this last weekend retired my Diamondback that I've had for 4 or 5 years that was developing a bit of an issue with the scrollwheel and grabbed a Lachesis. I saw that this one was out, but haven't really found the "ergonomic" shaped mice to be all that comfortable.

@kimboy: Sure, it's possible to complete games just fine with a generic brand optical mouse, but the two things I look at are comfort (Razer especially shapes their mice very nicely) and competitive performance. If you have (physics-style frictionless vacuum example) two people with exactly the same reaction speed, the person with the mouse that has a higher sensitivity and faster click response time will come out ahead.

Mostly it's just for people who don't look at "can I play a game with it" but "can I play better than other people"